Sorry, I'm New

minorthreat412

Solid State Member
Hello Everyone,

My name is chad and I live near Ann Arbor in Michigan. I'm 17 and getting into the upgrading and part swapping stage of my life.

I was given a computer today. I got it because I asked the girl if she had a computer I could use for parts. She said yes obviously.

Anyways, out of curiousity I hooked it up to see what was wrong and I have a few guesses. Here's the problem.

It opens up to a familiar screan that says "energy" up in the right hand corner. I never knew what that was but I've seen it before. It then goes to another screan that looks like it diagnosing everything on the computer...then just stops....doesn't go any further than that.

I had an idea to put a different hard drive in there that I knew had windows 95 on it and tried that. It went past that one screan but it then stopped after showing the normal windows 95 logo.

I want to delete everything else off of the harddrive that belongs to that computer and then, with the help of a friends windows 98 disc, install windows.

I have a million questions. If the harddrive it completely clean then will the computer run on DOS and work fine? Is it possible for me to clean the harddrive without a disc?

Will the windows 98 disc (that I will most likely get tomorrow) clean the harddrive for me before it installs? Do I need to have DOS up and running for me to even be able to install it?

I'd be happy if I could atleast use DOS.

Thank you for whatever help you can give me,
Chad

This is relatively simple. If you want DOS, I have the disk images somewhere. Email me and I'll give them to you. Then it's just a matter of formatting the hard drive and installing them.

OH NO...... I figured this would happen..... Time to break out THE TUTORIAL. It'll be a new Operating Systems post. I wrote it a while back.

Dude, I can't even get to DOS. The computer tries to start and stops and sits there. If I could access DOS I'd atleast have somewhere to go but I'm stranded and I don't know what I can/have to do.

I understand. Get a DOS boot floppy. Put in the floppy slot, turn on computer. It should let you boot into DOS from there.

I tried to format the hard drive like you explained in the Tutorial. But everytime I try it it says "...format not correct - c:\

help?

Back
Top Bottom