It is now Law!

lurkswithin

Fully Optimized
For all of you out in cyberspace.....
For those that like to agitate and irritate and flame others on websites!

This one is for you!

Keep in mind that this is NOT a joke Thread !

http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-annoyance%2C+go+to+jail/2010-1028_3-6022491.html?tag=nefd.top

It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.

In other words, it's OK to flame someone on a mailing list or in a blog as long as you do it under your real name. Thank Congress for small favors, I guess.

It's illegal to annoy

A new federal law states that when you annoy someone on the Internet, you must disclose your identity. Here's the relevant language.

"Whoever...utilizes any device or software that can be used to originate telecommunications or other types of communications that are transmitted, in whole or in part, by the Internet... without disclosing his identity and with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten, or harass any person...who receives the communications...shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

Now I know that there are a lot of you that think that it will have no effect on you...because you live outside the United States...but I am here to inform you that you may be sadly mistaken.

You see there are international agreements in affect that will allow that the websites willingly release all pertanent information about anyone that violates certain provisions of the agreements. This in itself maynot be enough to convince anyone that they are in violation of any law from within the United States when you may reside in England or elsewhere.

But to throw a different perspective on this.....the servers for this website are being HOSTED in HOUSTON, TEXAS within the United States and therefore anything that is said or done within this site must abide by the laws of the United States.

Remember ....This is not a joke!

Just thought that I would give you something to ponder for awhile.....

And Please, before you go off on some wild tangent....I personally think that this will not hold muster nor do I really care for it as I, myself, find this to be extremely intrusive and wrong. Just trying to enlighten all you members in good standing as to what is happening around the world.

1337DuD3 said:
I don't know. So for every post that I deem annoying I can file a lawsuit. Doesn't seem right.

That is a type of draw back to this but keep in mind that this is just the beginning.....I am sure that it will be reworded and rewriten and the likes...But I do believe that you are kind of missing the whole picture here..

People are tired of being slandered and libeled from some punk hiding annonomously behind a keyboard. They are tired of seeing hoaxes being randomly thrown about for the joy of some perverted individual. The companies are tired of having their products bad mouthed from uninformed sources quoting some other uninformed sorce.

The internet as we all know it is about to be changed....maybe to the good ...maybe to the bad...I don't know.

I do know that this is going to be the first part of the tightening of the noose so to speak.

Very odd law. Hope no one abuses it.
unsure.gif

Back
Top Bottom