It Is Done!

I'm not going to be running 300 FSB though. The multiplier for the processor is set at 11, so the maximum I'll need my RAM to get is around 260 FSB. That would easily suffice and I'd be running at somwhere around 3 GHz. Not to mention I think I'm only going to push it to 2.8 GHz so it doesn't run all that hot. Granted, I could easily get it to 3 GHz with fine temperatures, but just to be safe.

Is there anything just a tad cheaper? I can't get that stuff right now anyway, I'm a bit short on funds and my dad isn't quite ready to build a system yet. Not to mention he's going to pay me a little bit of money because he's going to use most of my old stuff! :D

I'd like to keep it under 140 if possible. 150 is okay, and I don't need the best stuff in the world either.

EDIT: What about this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820148007

It's Crucial Ballistix... I've heard this stuff is mean! :D Good overclocking reviews as well.

Crucial is only good in the 2x1GB department. BH-5 UTT and TCCD beat it when it comes to overclocking. Ballistix have a tendency to die after a while. If you dont want TCCD, i dont know what else will clock that high.

First of all, what is TCCD. I don't even know what that means.

Just ran Prime95 again. Ran for exactly 2 hours and then I got a fatal error. I think I'm going to leave it like it is until I get a gaming error, and then I'll back down.

Okay, I'm not going to suggest anything anymore in a department I know very little about. Please, give me the cheapest RAM available from Newegg that would suit my needs. If what you already posted is, just let me know, I'll work it out.

Maximum temperature during the test was 47 Celsius. When I buy the RAM I'll be getting a new heatsink as well. I'm thinking about a Zalman but if you could, direct me in the right way of a good heatsink that will cool it so it stays under 50 Celsius under load if possible at 2.8 GHz.

I know that's a lot to ask and is highly based on personal opinion, but thanks!

TCCD is another chip that will be remembered for long after its life. This ram has said to be the “BH-5 Replacement.” While some agree, some do not. They are VERY different ram chips, and do their own things very well. TCCD is probably the most versatile ram ever made. It can run up to about 220 MHz while holding super tight timings of cas2-2-2-X. It can also be run up near 300 MHz, while holding very respectable timings of cas2.5-4-4-X. Some people have even gotten above 300 MHz with timings of cas2.5-3-3-X. This is one of the highest clocking rams available today, and is relatively inexpensive for what you get. TCCD responds to voltage, but never really needs much of an increase to do its best. People have said that running it at 3.0 volts will help, but I have never achieved higher success going past 2.8 volts. This is especially useful, as 2.8 volts seems to be the maximum offered by most motherboards. The fact that this ram can run at 300 MHz on an UN-modded board is simply amazing. It makes it a great choice for everyone, regardless of what your setup may be. It has been argued that BH-5 is still superior. While that may hold true, the ease of running this ram fast makes up for any edge BH-5 may have on it. One complaint is that this ram is very picky when it comes to motherboard compatibility. I have heard that it has a hard time running well on Intel platforms. This ram really shines on the Athlon 64 platform since it is capable of extreme bandwidth. This ram can be found in almost any manufacturer now a days, including Kingston Hyper X, Corsair XMS, Patriot XBL, Mushkin Level 2, G.Skill, PQI Turbo and even Adata. There are specific part numbers in which you will need to take a look at, so head over to the ram list and check the part number of each manufacturer to be sure you are guaranteed to get TCCD. TCCD can also be identified by saying “TCCD” on the ram chips themselves. Get this stuff while you can folks, it may become a rarity like BH-5 did. Update on TCCD - TCCD is getting harder and harder to find as it is no longer in production. It seems to have been replaced by TCC5, which has proven to clock as high in most situations. The OCZ PC3200 rev. 2 Platinum was once TCCD, and now TCC5. Many other manufacturers are using TCC5 instead now because of the exit of TCCD. The exit of TCCD sort of scared everyone, but it is good to see that something has taken its place. (taken from www.ocforums.com all credit goes to NinjaZX6R)

The Zalman is a good heatsink for quietness, but its not the best out there. I would get a Thermalright SI-120 and a tri-blade delta (SHE). Alvino uses this setup and his temps on his 3200+ stock venice is 24*C.

That heatsink is very spiffy! And thank you so much on that explanation of RAM, though I obviously have a lot to learn. If you could, Ownage, pick out some RAM for me again? Give me a few choices, but point me in the right direction. If you could do that I'd be so appreciative!

I'll be sure to pick up a 120mm fan to stick on the top of there too. And, will that fit in an Asus A8N5X motherboard? Here's a link to that: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131569 and here's a link to that exact heatsink: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835109123 just in case you needed it.

That OCZ RAM is fine, if that's what's best. Please, let me know and I'll let you know how it all goes when I get the funds :D.

so here are few choices for RAM: OCZ Platinum Rev. 2
G.Skill Extreme Series FX
Patriot PDP XBLK
The Patriots dont do as well as the previous 2 and the G.Skills dont do as well as the OCZ. If you want good G.Skills, the price goes up. But those three should do pretty well.
Heres a very good fan: http://sidewindercomputers.com/de12trbllows1.html pushes ~76CFM at 34dBA, now Delta doesnt fake any of their specs on their fans like TT or any other company. The only fan manufactueres i would buy from would be Panasonic Panaflos or any Deltas. They are top quality fans.

Okay! I didn't want to make another post about this, so I dug this one up.

I think I've got it stable at 2.8 GHz now! I figured out how the divider is set up in my BIOS, and I was on the right track. I changed the memory clock index (or something similar) from a setting of 400 MHz to 333 MHz, divided that by two which gave me about 166 MHz, and then I changed the FSB of my CPU to 255. Since my RAM runs default at 200 MHz, that would mean it is now running at 221 MHz. I don't know what the divider number is for that, but that's what it is. Also, I read 99Nasha's guide to overclocking and noticed there was something about decreasing the HT Frequency, so I bumped that down to 4x. Everything seems to be fine so far! Played Fable with these settings (everything on high :D) for a couple of hours and it was good and ran Prime95 for two hours and it was good. I'll run Prime95 tomorrow when I'm at school and come back and check it (if I don't forget, that is).

Also, bumped up the RAM voltage to 2.7 volts and my CPU's running at 1.4 volts.

One question about my PSU, I noticed that the +12 volt line seemed a little low... It keeps it around 11.35 volts, but I checked SpeedFan after playing Fable and it said the minimum was 10.88 volts! Eek! However, the average was about 11.30 volts... Is this bad?

EDIT: Temperatures are fine as well. My CPU has yet to hit 51 Celsius. And it only got to 50 Celsius in Prime95, during Fable it hung around 46-48. Also, video card never went about 68 Celsius!

Back
Top Bottom