Overclocking your CPU, How to do it easily!

Status
Not open for further replies.

99nasha

Fully Optimized
If you have questions about this guide, please PM me as well as replying in the thread!!!!

I have been asking and asking about overclocking my CPU in every place imaginable. It seemed that everyone could do it but me. So I'm going to write this brief guide into how to do. I'm not going to incredible depth because I find that complicates things and then you end up all confused. This is a basic guide, since i'm no expert at overclocking either.

Remember: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, overclocking your computer can damage it. But it's extremely hard to do this. Make sure you read it all before you try anything

I'm imagine those who are using this guide are already familiar with their computers, but if you have any problems, reply to this thread or PM me.

Let's start then!

Go into your bios by pressing F8 when you boot up your PC. If you have no idea what bios is, give up now.

I have a screen like this

SEE PIC 1

We have to understand a few things first. All your hardware in your PC in is linked to one clock, the FSB (front side bus) This is the thing that we use to overclock your PC. Now if you enter this screen I can explain more
k8n_bios3.jpg

Your CPU speed is the speed of your FSB x multiplier (your multiplier is defined with what CPU you have). So take my processor (AMD 3000+ multiplier at x9)

FSB 250mhz x multiplier 9= 2250

Now before you get all excited, and run off to blow your computer up, you need to understand the importance of RAM. I'm guessing that most of you have PC3200 ram.

PC 3200 = DDR400 = 200MHZ. This means the RAM is rated to run at 200MHZ . Now there's many wonderful ways to get your memory to run at faster speeds and thus allowing you to overclock your CPU even more, but frankly I haven't a clue how to do it and I can't be arsed to find out. So were just going to run the RAM at its rated speed.

Now my first overclock was nice and easy because I have PC4000 which runs at 250 MHz. My stock FSB speed was 200mhz. So all I did was crank my FSB up to 250 and bobs your uncle, I was done. Aint that simple i'm afraid for you lot.

So now your saying...Wait a minute, my FSB is already at 200MHZ, so how do I get my CPU any faster if my ram won't go any quicker? :confused: (remember that PC3200 is rated at 200MHZ) Well if you remember, I said that the FSB links all your hardware together. So when you crank up the FSB your CPU speed is going to go up as well as the RAM. Well that's the beauty of it.

Your RAM will have to be down clocked in the bios. Then when we raise the FSB the RAM speed can be lifted back to its original speed, giving us more leeway on the CPU! So say if we went into the memory options and lowered it to 100MHZ (SEE PIC 2)

We would be able to raise the FSB up 100MHZ. I hope your still with me at this point. Now I don't want to force you to go down to 100Mhz. You can keep it higher. i.e. - 150mhz and raise the FSB by 50mhz. Just take it steady. Now another important thing is when you overclock is take the HT (hyper threading) down to x4. No idea what this does, but if I try and boot it with it set as x5 it doesn't work. Right if your happy with all your settings go ahead and save them and then reboot the computer.

tutoeial2.jpg

Now a few things might happen now.

*Your computer reboots and windows boots up and everything is fine and dandy.

Good! Run a test i.e. 3D mark or something, to check if it's stable. If not, don't panic. Ill run through a few things later to make it more stable.

*Your computer doesn't do anything, it just sits there and does bugger all. You come out in a cold sweat, and start yelling how your going to track 99nasha down and kill him.

Don't worry about it, this always happens when your computer doesn't want to accept the settings that you've given it. All you need to do is take the side off your computer and locate the button which resets the "cmos" This will return all your settings to normal and allow to try again, or just restart windows and say "screw that..." Make sure all your settings are correct! Run your Ram bang on its rated speed and make your HT has been lowered to 4x

*Your computer suddenly explodes and bursts into a flaming fireball

I go into hiding! :D Nah, don't worry. This wont happen, so don't get stressed.

Ok...So if you managed to overclock your CPU but it's crashing on booting or in windows that means that it's unstable. Now we can make an unstable CPU into a rock hard granite one by altering the voltages...

Now this is where it gets dodgy. If you mess around with these, you can fry your CPU. That means break it for good. I afraid i'm going to have to skate over this bit. But with AMD 64's I wouldn't recommend raising them above 1.6v without decent cooling. Because remember. When you raise the voltages it causes HEAT. So just play with the settings, as long as you don't go to high.

Remember a decent idle temp for a CPU is 30-35'C. On full load you don't want the CPU above 55'C. If it is, sort some new cooling it out for it, or change your settings.

Well that's it folks...I've worked my arse off doing this so I hope it's useful for you. I know that there are overclockers on this forum who are about a million times better than this at me, so please feel free to add or point out my stupid mistakes.

99nashaâ„¢

Stupid Thing doesnt let me post that many pics...Heres the other 2 which are needed. See the annotations

PIC 1
p4.jpg

PIC 2
tutorial1.jpg

ocrazyitaliano said:
m guessing intel is not a great mobo for overclocking seeing as i have like none of those settings :confused:

Im sorry..Ive got an athlon. So everything Ive learnt is about that stuff. Rather that pentiums. I though they would have been similar anyway

very nice, simple guide you've written there, well done!

although the button I have to press to access my bios is DEL, so I guess it varies from comp to comp

:D

IM GOING TO KILL YOU, MY COMPUTER WENT UP INTO FLAMES AND YOU SAID IT WOUND'T HAPPEN, I WILL FIND YOU IN YOUR HIDDING. Ahh just joking :D I just got a water cooling set, i didnt finish it last night because i didnt have enough time now im in school so yeah....i have an amd 3800 X2 how much do you think i could overclock that its running at the factory settings of 2ghz

Lol :D Scared me there. I reckon you could get it over 2.8 with water cooling...Mabye even faster. What Ram you got?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom