Windows not booting up

shadowlink217

Beta member
I'm having a problem with my Windows not booting up. I'm not sure exactly what's wrong with it, so I'll just tell you guys all it does do.

When I turn on my computer, it goes to my motherboard's screen, which it usually did. Next, it goes to the only screen where I see something may be wrong with it. Here's a link to a picture of the screen:[img=http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/372/dsc0017522iy.th.jpg] (Sorry, I know it's a bit big, but I didn't want to resize it because the text would probably become illegible.)

After that, it gives me an error that says "CPU Fan Error!". However, it gave me this error before my computer stopped booting up, and my CPU fan seemed to be working fine. After that, where it would normally go to the screen where I choose my operating system, the screen instead goes blank.

Does anyone know what is wrong and how to fix it?

P.S. I have windows installed multiple times, I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

If you're running SATA drives, then you possibly have a problem. (Looks like a driver issue) Post back if you are.
The CPU Fan error means that either the BIOS cannot monitor the fan, or it has quit working. Quit working is probably more realistic. Can you take the side off the computer, and power it on (It won't hurt anything to do this) to see if the CPU fan is spinning?
Post back when you can verify for sure. To both of my questions.

Yeah, my CPU fan is definitely working.

I'm not sure if I'm running any SATA drives, how can I find out if I am?

A SATA drive will have a very thin cable running from the motherboard to the HD.
Keep in mind that the CPU fan can be working, but running at a lower RPM than what is needed to cool the processor. Seems like a driver issue then. Boot the computer up, and see if BIOS sees the SATA drives. What type of comptuer is it?

Well it was an HP, but not much of it is an HP any more. I recently got an ASUS motherboard, and it doesn't even recognize my computer as an HP anymore.

As for the SATA cable, would it be wide and thin? Because the wire connecting my hard drive to the motherboard is a wide, thin cable.

Nope, that's a standard IDE cable.
Is there any reason Windows is installed multiple times? Do you mean different versions?
Does it still say CPU Fan error?
Once you change out the Motherboard, it's no long an HP- Good for you! ;)
Now that I know a little more, and by the way, the screen shot doesn't help that much, except for one thing- how to get into BIOS. Reboot and go into setup- (Ctrl +S) and see if it detecs your IDE hard drive. If it doesn't show your hard drive, then BIOS may have lost the settings. Try resetting BIOS, you can do this by finding a battery on the motherboard- it looks like a watch battery, only about 4 times the size, Remove it for about 10 minutes, and put it back in (Note: be careful taking it out- some are put in there with a little clip ontop of the battery that is easily broken) See if it detects everything on the next bootup, and loads into Windows- there are no other error messages, right?

Well I have Windows XP Home Edition installed once, however that stopped working when I put my new motherboard in (it didn't recognize my computer as an HP anymore and didn't allow me to use it), which is when I installed Windows XP Professional on my D drive, although somehow I had both a C drive and a D drive on the same internal hard drive. But anyway, I installed it to my D drive because it told me that I may experience issues if I installed windows to a drive that already had it installed on it. However, my D drive was only something like 4 gigs (it was a backup hard drive previously), and I decided that I would install Professional on the C drive shortly afterwards because it kept defaulting all of my programs to install on the D drive.

To make it short, I have Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home Edition installed on my C drive and Windows XP Professional installed on my D drive.

Yes, it still gives me the CPU Fan Error message.

It does detect my hard drive, but my hard drive is under secondary IDE master, whereas my CD drives are under primary IDE master; is it supposed to be like that?

Oh, and my motherboard has a clip over the battery, is there any way to take it out without breaking it?

Make your hard drive the Primary Master, and the CD drives the secondary master.
Your hard drive should always be on the primary IDE drive (Primary Master).
Do you have any data that needs to be saved?
If not, I would reformat and reinstall. The reason being you have too much going on, on your computer. Too much wasted space.
Will it boot to CD?
If so, pop in your XP Home or Pro disc (Whatever the COA- Certificate of Authenticity- is on the side or bottom or top of the computer), and boot it up.
Press any key to boot from the CD....
It will load the files, choose install.
It will get to a point where it will search for previous versions of Windows.
If you have your data backed up- or you do not need what's on the computer follow the prompts to delete the partition- each one, one by one.
You should end up with a full, unpartitioned drive, ready to format.
Choose format (not quick)
It will take a while.
Then you start loading Windows- from there you will have to enter the COA,
install all the drivers, and you should be up and going after a couple of hours.
When you have that many different versions of Windows on different hard drives and things- your asking your computer to mess with you :D

Well I would have done that, except for one problem- it won't boot from my Windows disc. All it does is ask my to boot from the CD, and when I do it just says something like "Setup is inspecting your computer" or something of the sort, then it goes to a blank screen and my fans start running at high speeds as if it was about to do something, but then the fans just slow back down and it stays at the blank screen.

Back
Top Bottom