Optical drive causing computer to freeze on startup!

Ð88

Fully Optimized
I am not sure what the source of this problem is but it tends to be a fairly serious one. Basically what happens is that some how in the process of detecting the IDE connections on start up (like where it detects the harddrive and any optical drives at the very beginning) my computer subsequently freezes. I can restart as many times as I want and it will not change anything. The only way I found that I could temporarily fix the problem was by resetting the CMOS. It got to the point that I was tired of opening my computer up to reset the CMOS after each time I wanted to restart that I decided to just completely unplug my dvd drive and that seems to correct any freezing problems on start up. I don't even know where to begin to correct it. I thought it was from the update on the chipset drivers that I did but I reverted back to the old ones via the disc that came with the motherboard and that did nothing. All the components of my computer are in my sig for reference so if anyone can even remotely help me out that would be great.

The make and model of your DVD drive are not in your sig. What is it? It could be a firmware issue, or your BIOS may have somehow become corrupt. The first place to start looking for answers would be to go to the manufactures Web site (of the DVD drive) and see if anyone else has had any issues. It could also be a bad data cable. If you have another drive, try it. If it does the same thing, it is more than likely the IDE cable.

Oh yeah, its made my samsung but I dont have the model number. It seems strange that it suddenly stopped working but I'll do what you say and look into it at samsung's site. I don't have another drive to test it with which I know would help to distinguish whether it is the optical drive or something else. Maybe I can get my hands on another one.

Back
Top Bottom