weird harddrive

ati005

In Runtime
ive got a maxtor 122gb ide hard drive. i bought i a year ago, i used it until a month ago when i accidently lost files by formatting, so i thought id wait till i get a new harddrive to backup the stuff on, anyway i got a 200 gb maxtor one, plugged it inj, it worked i put my old 1 in, then recovered the files, it recognized the harddrive as 38.0GB. Weird?
i formatted it, even the maxblast software recognizes it as 38.0 gb harddisk. there are no other partition or unpartitioned space

is it possible to try it as a slave in another system your freinds anybodies just to see if it recognises it correctly.if so it could be your bios not recognising the cylinders and head. you can go into bios and set these yourself it should tell you on your hard drive amount of cylinders and heads see if your bios says the same.

You might want to call them and consult them about it first. Windows should recognize a hard drive that size; I think the cap on them before you have to make two partitions or get some special driver or something is 137 gigabytes... I have a Maxtor 160 gigabyte and had to use 2 partitions, which is fine. Actually, it's great, because I have a more organized drive :D.

Sorry that really didn't answer your question, but I'd do what the other guy said and try it in a different computer and see what it does.

This is a common thing with maxtor. Your HDD is set to Capacity Limitation Jumper (CLJ) To put it as slave, view the HDD's jumper setting on the HDD itself

Back
Top Bottom