how to set up a network

cg1

In Runtime
i have 3 pc's running xp and they are set up to a wireless router. but how do i share files and printers i have tryed the wizared but it did not work. :confused:

1 pc is xp pro the other 2 are xp home.
it is a netgear 108mbps wireless router with adsl modem

The easiest way:
Right-click on "My Computer" and select properties (On each computer)
Once the next page opens up, click on the tab that says "Computer Name"
Click on the button that says "Change"
Type a unique name for the computer. (Each computer must have a different name)
Type a workgroup for the computer (Each computer must have the SAME workgroup)
Afterwards, you have to reboot before it will take effect.
Once your computers come back up, you should be able to go to my network places and see the other two. You're not finished yet :eek:
Now, you need to select a folder on each computer that can be shared.
Also, whatever computer has the printer attached to it, you need to share it.
You do this by right clicking on the folder and printer, select properties, and share them on the network- you may get some security dialog that informs you this is dangerous :) It's ok.
Now, when you look for the printer from one of the other two, you browse the network to find it, and once found, it will install the print driver for the printer of the machine you are connecting too.
Good Luck. :cool:

each computer has a differnt name and there are on the same workgroup but nothing is in my network places

1 laptop running xp home can find the xp pro laptop but can't acess it.
the xp pro laptop can't find the xp home laptop.
i have not tried the other pc yet.

The first time, you may have to search for the network devices. After that they should show up. For example, obtain the IP address from one of the computers on the network. Open up IE, FF, O, Netscape, whatever brower you use. Type in that IP address from the other computer. Is it seeing it? Then see if you can access it. If you can't post back, and we'll see what we can do about it :)

:confused: That shouldn't happen. Get on one of the computers, click on start, go to run, and type cmd and hit enter. Once you do that, a black screen will come up. Don't worry about the text. Type ipconfig, and tell me what the IP Address is. Do this for both computers, and post back.

Your computers should have IP addresses of 192.168.1.100, 101, and 102. It looks as if you are using static IP address, that you manually setup in the computers. This may be because it's netgear.....not sure on that one.

This is what I need:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

C:\Documents and Settings\Michael>
To view this, go to start>run>type cmd and hit enter
Type IPCONFIG and hit enter- and copy that screen and paste it back here.

Back
Top Bottom