Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHz - Worth it?

tk26

Solid State Member
Hey guys well im in the market to buy a new computer and I was looking at the Power Mac's for anyone that doesn't know the specs here they are...

Dual-core 2GHz PowerPC G5 processor
1GHz frontside bus per processor
1MB L2 cache per core
512MB of 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200)
160GB Serial ATA hard drive
16x SuperDrive (double-layer)
Three open PCI-Express expansion slots
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE with 128MB GDDR SDRAM

I was wondering if your reccomend this computer, I am using it mainly for music (itunes), digital photograhy, school work, minor gaming, stuff like that. I was leaning towards mac because i have been told their great for digital photography and that that are less suseptable to viruses is this true? I have read mostly good things about mac's, what do you guys think?

PS: I have a question the 16x SuperDrive (dual layer) this is a dvd burner right? How does it work? I don't know much information on them

if your only using it for that it would be cheaper to build your own really good windows. powermacs are expensive. ide build my own if i was you

the tiger os is amazing and its layout is so simply, they will pratically never lag and that was on a minimac....

SOOOOOOOO EXPENSIVE, they are amazing computers tho, I really want one, but so pricey, I say build your own, unless you've got lots of scratch to spare, then hell, go for it.

tk26 said:
Hey guys well im in the market to buy a new computer and I was looking at the Power Mac's for anyone that doesn't know the specs here they are...

Dual-core 2GHz PowerPC G5 processor
1GHz frontside bus per processor
1MB L2 cache per core
512MB of 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-4200)
160GB Serial ATA hard drive
16x SuperDrive (double-layer)
Three open PCI-Express expansion slots
NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE with 128MB GDDR SDRAM

I was wondering if your reccomend this computer, I am using it mainly for music (itunes), digital photograhy, school work, minor gaming, stuff like that. I was leaning towards mac because i have been told their great for digital photography and that that are less suseptable to viruses is this true? I have read mostly good things about mac's, what do you guys think?

PS: I have a question the 16x SuperDrive (dual layer) this is a dvd burner right? How does it work? I don't know much information on them

For schoolwork, it may be difficult to work on a Mac. Here's why. I'm in school right now and one of my professor's have a project we have to do that involves installing some software on our PCs so we can work on them. They are PC compatible but not Mac. He simply said to go to a friend's house or anybody else that has a Windows PC that could lend him a hand. These programs aren't installed in the labs which makes it worse for people that don't have Windows computer.

Other than that, it's a very good looking Mac PC. The superdrive has got to be a DVD burner if it's running at 16x. Plus, the Dual Layer gives another hint it's a DVD burner.

ok i have a question most programs are mac compatible right this is my major concern, another thing has anyone used Mac OS X Tiger pro's and cons?

Barely any games run on MAC's do they???...I used to have one and they never did. That's why i just opted for PC in the end.

I would say mac is the right thing for you. Well, in some ways. Macs are good for digital photography and art. They arent good for games because of the fact that most games dont run on macs. But you said youd use iTunes, u dont need a mac to use itunes also. itunes is compatible with Windows. I think you are better off with windows, even though it has viruses, u just need really good virus protection software and be careful about opening .exe's and you will be fine.

ya i have a PC now and i have itunes but my concern is that they wont be able to run games like counterstirke can anyone confirm if they can/cant

im pretty sure it isnt. I have it and if i remember correctly, it wasnt compatible on mac but i am not 100% positive. Ill look it up and edit the post.

Back
Top Bottom