I'm confused...

Lac3y

Daemon Poster
I've been playing Doom 3 for a while now, and I've always had disc 1 in the disc drive, because games require the disc to play, right?

Well, last night I must have took the disc out and replaced it with the gta3 disc (can't remember doing this I was really tired), then I must have thought sod it and went to bed.

Today I woke up and thought I had the Doom 3 disc in and loaded up doom 3, and it started playing! This wasn't a problem until after ten minutes when I looked to the right of my monitor and seen the Doom 3 disc lying there.

What the hell? Do games not require the disc to play anymore? It's the same with half-life 2, but I assumed that was because of Steam or something.

What gives?

There is normally three types of install:
small (mimilastic) - puts in very little and requires the disk to play
standard (typical) - puts in more comly used files and requiers disk for less used files
full - all files are copied and disk is not required

Most games nowadays are like that. The bigger the installs, the more likely you won't need the CD to play.

It's wonderful :D

that's cool, now I don't have the hassle of changing discs all the time!

Yeah, and for the games that don't have that option you can get cracks so that the games don't require the CD's. To the best of my knowledge, it is perfectly legal to have these types of cracks if you own the game. I don't see why it wouldn't either. It says that they're legal on their website, but I don't know how accurate that information is.

The website that I know about is http://www.gamecopyworld.com.

dont get no cd cracks for online games, it may make them not work online. also, make a backup of the original loader. im kinda experienced in this area :) hehe

Jamxx said:
Yeah, and for the games that don't have that option you can get cracks so that the games don't require the CD's. To the best of my knowledge, it is perfectly legal to have these types of cracks if you own the game. I don't see why it wouldn't either. It says that they're legal on their website, but I don't know how accurate that information is.

The website that I know about is http://www.gamecopyworld.com.

That is a very good website. Have always found the stuff I need and not once has there been any problem with unwanted programs coming with them.

And yes it should be legal, since u have bought the game and still own it.
So u are not braking any copyrights etc, u are just making it easier & faster for u to play the game.

And mr.monger, yes they might not work. But I've not encountered this. Every game that I have bought and then cracked it so that I don't need the disk has worked fine online.

I had a strange problem liek this the other day at the LAN party. I was playing BF2, only I had the BF:Special Forces disc in the CD tray, and FEAR in the other try. Yet it played. So after we were playing for a few hours, I rebooted my computer to give it some breathing room after the gaming had gone on for awhile, I went in the same way i did before, tried booting BF2, and BOOM, it asked for the BF2 Installer Disc (Disc 1) to play. So I open my CD and DVD trays and it's not in there, yet I was JUST playing it. Weird huh?

I have not encountered one problem with online play for any of the games I have with a crack. Far Cry, Quake 4, Tribes: Vengeance... Tested online play and all of them worked fine. Found games and I could host one.

Note: I didn't try to join any games or get anyone to come to mine. I'll find that out when I do that the next time :D.

Back
Top Bottom