Random Question

ChaosPsychoGame

Baseband Member
I have what is probably a stupid question. I just happened to notice that under my Device Manager under Processors, it lists two X2 4400+s. I'm just guessing that there aren't actually two of them...but in my laptop it only lists one under the processor section.

Same thign happens to my P4. I think it's listed as two because of the Hyper Transport/Threading technology. Because if you're using a dualcore, which comes with Hyper Transport/Threading technology then there should be 4 boxes.

I'm for certain it's because of the Hyper Transport/Threading technology that your CPU has. :)

Same thing happens to mine...

Pent 4.
630 prescott
3.0ghz
HT (hyper-threading)

I get two performance boxes in taskmanger. And i know under device menu, thats why it lists two CPU's

Ziirou Requin said:
What's a logical and physical CPU? I don't get the difference.

Not sure if this is correct but:

the physical is like made out of something, the logical is just data. (or something like that)
Like with my p4 there is only 1 physical processor, one actual chip.
And then there is that 1 logical processor, which is because the HT technology makes the computer think that there is 2 processors, even though there is just one.

This HT technology is good for multitasking etc, since there the "2" processors come into use.Some applications like games etc take quite little advantage of the logical processor. (just like they take little advantage from dual cores)

Back
Top Bottom