It Is Done!

no, keep the PCI speed at 33.33 and PCI-Express locked at 100mhz. So ill explain the divider. Lets say that you (not you specifically) have some POS RAM that wont do crap. But your cpu will do 300FSB with ease. Your RAM will only run at 250Mhz before it takes a dump on you. That means you want to keep your RAM at 250 but you want the cpu to go 300Mhz. That means you want to run a 4/5 divider. Where your RAM runs 4/5 of your FSB. So you can take your cpu higher while keeping your RAM where itll run.

Oh, that makes sense. How do you use a dividier? Is it in the BIOS, something you download, or do I just manually set both the CPU frequency and the RAM frequency?

It's a setting in the BIOS. There are usually set numbers you can choose for the RAM like 100, 133, 166, 200. It's quick and easy. Just choose something that'll let your RAM and FSB run 1:1, or as close to that as possible.

I couldn't exactly find that, but I'm running stable right now at 2.480 GHz. I'm about to see how far I can get it! :D

Eh, nevermind, not stable. I think it has something to do with that I didn't reload Windows. I'm going to do that this weekend, sometime. I need to do it anyway. I can't find a CPU/RAM ratio anywhere in my BIOS. I got Windows started running at 2.4 GHz but then on the first 5 seconds of AquaMark3 it made an error noise (like the dunnn! sound Windows makes) and a blank screen. So, anyway, I'll just see what happens then.

ok to make overclocking simple im gona explain, when u overclock u raise the fsp gradually and to keep the cpu stable u need to raise the voltage but while your raising the fsb to make the cpu faster its also making the ram run faster so what u need to do is use the memory divider, now on my motherboard this setting isnt with the rest of the overclocking stuff so u need to look around in the bios it could look like 4/5 or 333 or 333/400 something like that, u have to find it otherwise u'll never get that cpu up to 3GHz and dont forget to raise the ram voltage as well

i have no idea what kind of RAM you are using. If you are using cheap value RAM, you wont get as much memory bandwidth compared to TCCD or BH-5 UTT. Even UCCC and -5B D will do better.

Honestly, I have no idea what you're talking about. However, I've (after reinstalling Windows XP) have it running stable at 2.57 GHz. I have the CPU voltage set at 1.40 volts, the RAM voltage at 2.6 volts, the CPU overclock at 230 MHz and multiplier set at 11x. I tried a setting that I thought might work, and decreased my RAM memory speed (can't remember what it was called exactly) from 400 MHz to 333 MHz. I noticed that the speeds matched up to DDR speeds (like DDR400, DDR333, DDR266, etc.). Temperatures on the CPU are fine; I haven't seen it go past 44 Celsius yet.

How do you check to see if your RAM is being stressed to much? I have no idea how to monitor it, and I don't want to lose it (well, I don't want it to blow up and hurt my motherboard, really, I need some new RAM anyways). I have GEIL Value memory (stated in my signature...), but I've heard it overclocks well! It has good overclocking reviews on Newegg.

By the way, I bought two 512 megabyte chips at two different times and I set them in the way you would for dual channel. Could this have something to do with it? I don't know how to see if they're successfully running in dual channel, either. My knowledge of this stuff is very limited, so if you could enlighten me a bit it'd be great.\

Many thanks, sorry for that heck-u-va post :D.

Back
Top Bottom