How to melt a power supply.

BullDog(UK)

In Runtime
As you can see with the signature below I've got a good Computer :p , now for the fun of it I decided to get a old Q-Tec 450w supply out of the Computer bits box I've got (bits from way back to 286/386 computers) and stuck it in this computer. Well all fired up ok and went into Windows (had to use converts etc for board and took one graphic card out), anyway I went onto BF2 and was gaming for about 15mins when the Computer locked up, so I rebooted and tried again.This time the Computer it was working for 12mins, when I could smell burning and before I could lean over and turn off the Computer, their was a quiet popping noise and the Computer shut off. I took the cover off and all looked ok, but to make sure it hadn't damaged the Computer I replaced the original power supply and fired up and all is working great again.

Right down to the Q-Tec (450w), I remove the cover and at least 5 components had melted (LOL) and the connector for the motherboard had gone black and melted at the -5volt pinouts.

It's completely dead, point of this story is get the correct power supply to run the Computer or it'll melt :)

BullDog(UK)

yeah, you've got a pretty power hungry computer there. those old power supplies can't handle that kind of power demand. I would have gone nuts if I hard a popping sound for fear it damaged any of those components...lol

Are you mega-rich? Or just insane?

You've got a kick-ass comp and were willing to do that?

lol

Lac3y said:
Are you mega-rich? Or just insane?

You've got a kick-ass comp and were willing to do that?

lol

Insane just about describes me :eek:

/note to self aaarrrrrrrrrgghh, my Computer what was I thinking.......

LOL

BullDog(UK)

Tommy Boy said:
I would have gone nuts if I hard a popping sound for fear it damaged any of those components...lol

Trust me when I heard it pop, I thought aagghhh f**k :eek:

Well I've been gaming now for a couple of hours and done loads of test and all is running perfectly.

/Note to self - hit self on foot with hammer if I think about trying that again - LOL

BullDog(UK)

Yeah, when I put my computer together for the first time, and heard a pop, I felt sick to my stomach.

Derek

Back
Top Bottom