having trouble setting up a home network

my.php

printer8ei.jpg

lappy5jm.jpg

Hi David, hope all of these come out ok and it's what you want.

Razor

my main concern here is that when i go to my network places on the laptop, then click on view workgroup computers i get this message.

errormessage3we.jpg

Razor

Well..im becoming as confused as you. But, I had this very same problem several DAYS ago. It was after I reformetted (for a different reason) and went to set the file sharing up, and i accidentally hit "use wizard" and after I used the wizard I was unable to get the file sharing working. All that I would get after everything is properly configured was the same message you got there.

What i had to do was re-reformat and NOT use the wizard...worked perfectly.

This would be a dumb thing to reformat over probably but I don't think I can help you anymore than this other than telling you to never use the wizard again....

Ill try telling you two more suggestions...Try booting in safe mode. In safe mode Windows XP home can set file permissions. So boot in Safe Mode and try fooling arround with some permissions. Try setting them to ALLOW. Also, add a group with your user name "ex: adding SIMON" as a group, and set the permissions to ALLOW. Also, add a group called Administrators and set that to ALLOW. Try going to your printer, right click and go to properties or sharing and see if you can set permissions for that. Try doing this for the C Drive you have shared too. Then boot up again regularly and see if it works.

Second, if you have just RECENTLY used the wizard to set file sharing, try using system restore located in Start-->All Programs-->accessories-->System tools-->system restore. Restore to a day BEFORE you used the wizard and try setting it up normally.

If none of that works...ill give one last piece of advice...

go to http://www.computerforum.com and ask this same question there, maybe they can help.

Sorry I couldn't help you faster...

Good Luck...

thanks for all your help david, if and when i decid to do a format, i'll let you know.

I seen the Norton tab there....Is the firewall enabled? If so, it may be set to block file and print sharing...
Otherwise, I would change the name of one of the "shared" drives to something else, like instead of just C, use Laptop Drive, Desktop Drive. This will make it unique, and also you want to make sure each computer has a different name, and are apart of the same workgroup.

Back
Top Bottom