9800 Pro performance issues!

Cordless

Solid State Member
So I'm posting on a friend's computer right now. He bought a 9800 Pro about a month agowhich hasn't really done him much good. He's running 1.5 Gigs of Corsair 2700 DDR Ram, and an AMD 2700+ with some EpoX motherboard.

It's giving him scores of around 29,000 on Aquamark where, according to a select few other sites, say he should be getting about a 40,000. Hes tried 3rd party drivers, the latest catalyst drivers, messing with all the settings, etc - and nothing seems to bring his framerate up. I've done what I can with it and still can't figure out what's going on. I just installed one of those nifty PCI duo-fan things which blow up onto his Gfx card and I've got a giant fan sitting here next to the case with the window off for better cooling. Still, nothing. Heating definetley isn't the problem from what I can tell.

I've also tried overclocking it. The more I overclock (to get it to what it should be without any OCing) the more the screen tares like crazy and things don't function properly.

Anyway, I can't seem to figure this shit out, so maybe you guys can. I appologize for yet another one of these "OmGz liEK Mie GFZXXCARD WONT WERK DEWD FIX IT" threads, but I'm completely out of ideas. Any feedback will definetly be apprciated. Thank you.

care the specify the brand? I need more info in order to find out the real problem.

Sorry about that. It's just ATI. I've had bad experiences with the 'Powered by' stuff.

thats interesting. Usually it should work. Care to give me a link on the product?

Did you friend buy it new or used? There might be a chance that its a faulty card. I would send it back to ATi and see if the new one is the same.

Refurbished, actually. The one he bought prior was a fulty card which he exchanged for the one he has now. He bought it at Frys Electronics as well (If you have those in your area)

But if it was a faulty card wouldnt it just not work in the first place? The first card that was faulty just didnt work at all.

Back
Top Bottom