basic networking with xp

maanico1

In Runtime
if i wanna connect two laptops or a laptop-> a desktop, what do i need to do in order to connect them, just have a crossover cable and itll recognize each other automatically? also what can be done when the computers are connected (share files, use internet, etc?)

yer same thing as what im trying to do
have a cord from one to the other
then you need to make them both the same workgroup
(if need help with that just ask for a walk through)
i know the basic's are you can:
-share file's and folders
-access internet through the other computer
-transfer file's and folders from one to the other
-share printers and hardware
ect.

hope i helped!!
:)

With a crossover cable you can do just that, connect the crossover cable between the two machines and then wait for them to connect. Then after than you may access shared files through the Network Places or the Workgroup tab.

Also make sure as said above, be sure that both machines have file sharing enabled and that they are on the same workgroup.

How do you access the internet? If you want both computers to access the internet as well I think a better way to do this would be to get a router, wireless or wired, doesn't matter. That way both pc's will have their own connections to the internet.

If you use a crossover cable, you would have to share your internet from one computer to the other and that computer would have to have 2 network cards. I guess what I'm saying is that having a router would really simplify things.

Back
Top Bottom