Running Two Monitors

ChaosPsychoGame

Baseband Member
This may seem like a foolish question to ask, but I thought I might do so anyways. I was thinking of running two monitors with my new computer, but don't really know that much about doing so. I'm sort of assuming it is possible to have one monitor playing a game, and the other either on a chat program, internet, or movie? First of all, I'm wondering if that's possible/hard to do, and also wondering if the second monitor will greatly decrease the performance of my graphics card. I have an EVGA e-GeForce 7800 GTX 256 MB. Don't know if it matters, but my main monitor is 19'' and i plan to buy another 15'' LCD.

You just plug in the DVI to analog adapter and plug the other moniter on the DVI slot next to your primaty slot on the back of the card :p

It will, slightly, though I have never noticed anything. I have a 6600.

The games, as far as I know, don't go spread to both monitors, unless you set it that way.

And, no, you can not have the other monitor on while you play a game, unless you have the settings changed. You shouldn't notice a difference in games, because the other monitor shuts off.

I don't want to use NView which I believe is where it spreads one image across the two monitors? I'm reading in the booklet that came with it that you can use DualView? Two independent resolutions; is that what you were talking about?

I can have my other monitor on [IE winamp and aim open] while playing game on the other..
?

It won't affect it a lot...

BTW, you sig is to be reduced to 5 lines.

I'd sugest to do this:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 / 2048 MB DDR400 Dual Channel Memory / 2x250 GB Harddrive
EVGA e-GeForce 7800 GTX 256 MB
Integrated 7.1 surround sound
3dMark 2001 SE: 34725 / 3dMark 2003: 19325 / 3dMark 2005: 8424

OR

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 / 2048 MB DDR400 Dual Channel Memory / 2x250 GB Harddrive
EVGA e-GeForce 7800 GTX 256 MB / Integrated 7.1 surround sound
3dMark 2001 SE: 34725 / 3dMark 2003: 19325 / 3dMark 2005: 8424

Oh, as an extra desktop, so to speak. Let me try it out.

It does, yes. Running two monitors will lag the video card.

And on the subject of having a chat, with a game, no. If you can move the mouse to the other screen, it disturbs the game, and closes the game window. So no, you can not run other programs on the other monitor while playing a game, even though you can still see it.

I can have my other monitor on [IE winamp and aim open] while playing game on the other..

But you can't use them. I just tried out COD and BF2.

If you are asking just to run 2 monitors while not gaming, it's OK, but when gaming, the other monitor should go off...

Nope, you're talking about a virtual desktop, where he is talking about two separate desktops, connected to one monitor.

EDIT: Computer, not monitor.

Back
Top Bottom