Building a PC-Whats the diff with these two Memory I picked out?

joeeye

Solid State Member
Sorry, I made a corrections in red

Hey guys, I picked motherboard Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 ATX AMD-Retail and it came with listed below it the recomended memory Corsair XMS 1GB for $100.00.

But before I seen the recomended memory I had already chose the Corsair Valueselect 1 GB memory thats $75.50.

They are identical except for the Latency, the 75.00 is 2.5 and the 100.00 is 2 with heat spreader.Will I notice a difference between the two memories? will the PC be snappier??? or is the price diff the Latency and some type of heat spreader I don't know what it is make a difference??

also the 100.00 has timing 2-3-3-6 where the 75.00 don't list any

Please shed some light please, thanks, Joe

below ar the web sites if you wanted to look, thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145450

get the xms.
3 reasons:
1. The price difference is only $25, so why not spend a little more and get something better?
2. The lower the timings the better, though timings are not that important, but still make a difference. And that xms has great timings.
3. If u are going to oc (and trust me, even if u now say that u are not going to oc u might have changed ur mind in a month) the value ram just won't be any good. The xms series is good for oc'ing.

mammikoura said:
get the xms.
3 reasons:
1. The price difference is only $25, so why not spend a little more and get something better?
2. The lower the timings the better, though timings are not that important, but still make a difference. And that xms has great timings.
3. If u are going to oc (and trust me, even if u now say that u are not going to oc u might have changed ur mind in a month) the value ram just won't be any good. The xms series is good for oc'ing.

Thanks for the reply my friend, I forgot all about OC. yes, in time I'm sure I'll be doing that.

I also have a gut feeling that the XMS will be a more responsive memory.

I feel the memory is a huge part of the build and in the way the PC operates, because of the way it read to memory when first turned on.

You know, I always wondered this: Why is it the XMS series is better for OCing? I've heard that Value RAM isn't good for it, but never knew why.

Also, aside from the OCing factor, is there any problem with value RAM, or no?

Value RAM uses parts that are "junk" and not considered "high-end". You may or may not be able to OC well. In reality, the value RAM is only a tiny bit slower than quality RAM. The only difference is that you can't push value RAM as hard as quality RAM in terms of OC.

Kuberr said:
Value RAM uses parts that are "junk" and not considered "high-end". You may or may not be able to OC well. In reality, the value RAM is only a tiny bit slower than quality RAM. The only difference is that you can't push value RAM as hard as quality RAM in terms of OC.

Ah, okay. That's what I thought.

Aside from the memory, what stuff makes the higher end RAM better than value? Timings? Latency?

Sure, timings are usually better, because Value RAM cannot be individually tested for individual timings and are rather set at a default latency for all value RAM. These timings are usually higher than those of high quality RAM.

Will going from 3-4-4-8 to 3-3-3-8 on a non-OCed comp really show any performance difference? Or is that the type of nominal thing that shows on benchmarks, and not in real-world situations?

Back
Top Bottom