What do you do when you upgrade?

Legion Kreinak

In Runtime
When you guys decide you want/need a faster processor, more memory, or a better graphics card, do you typically keep all your old equipment (i.e., mouse, keyboard, speakers, sound card, PSU, casing, MOBO [unless this needs replacing to support the new CPU], HDD and optical drives) and just buy the new stuff, or do a complete overhaul and buy a new everything?

Part of me thinks the idea of a "fresh start" is pretty cool, but at the same time, I can't see why the other stuff can't be reused, unless that needs upgrading too (i.e., more wattage needed, or just an old PSU, want better speakers, drives are failing).

if you like all of you periferal items i.e mouse, speakers ect, keep them.
they are as cheap as chips anyway and can be added afterwards.
as for psu, i would be inclined to change it if i was in the slightest bit unsure of it.
as for soundcards, unless you ae doing lots of work on it why replace it?
thats my oppinion.
woz

Why would you be inclined to change the PSU? Does anything bad happen if the PSU is near the end of its lifespan and it goes out while on the computer? My guess is it'd be the same as unplugging the computer - just cuts the power.

wozelbeak said:
what if it gave a power surge?
woz

Then you claim it on your house insurance, con them and get a new computer that is 10x as fast.

Ziirou Requin said:
Can it do that? I don't know enough about this stuff.

Yes, all electrical components that are connected through the mains supply get get power surges, usually when a grid goes down a huge surge of electricity can come into your house and fry anything with a circuit board in it.

Lac3y said:
Yes, all electrical components that are connected through the mains supply get get power surges, usually when a grid goes down a huge surge of electricity can come into your house and fry anything with a circuit board in it.

No one is safe! :eek:

Seriously though, can/will a PSU surge if it's at the end of it's life? I know it can surge for other reasons, but if you've just got an old PSU...?

don't get paranoid, im just saying if your buying some nice expensive gear, you might as well get new psu as well.
woz

wozelbeak said:
don't get paranoid, im just saying if your buying some nice expensive gear, you might as well get new psu as well.
woz

Were you talking to me?

I wasn't being paranoid I was just having a laugh (hey, we've all conned the insurance company at least once, might as well claim back as much as you can, eh?).

:D

Back
Top Bottom