iPod or Sony Walkman

Are you sure your Sony player didn't have that Sony AVLS thing on Kage??? Most Sony players seem to ship with AVLS, a stupid volume limiting thing which stops the user cranking up the volume to full, in order to prevent you damaging your ears. More specifically it skilfully does this by almost preventing the sound being heard at all. Hehe, my MD had it and it took me months to work out how to turn it off in the settings, so did my VAIO. As soon as i turned it off, it was pumping in a traditional ear sacrificing manner!

Yeah, you could turn AVLS off. I did mention of a hack though I never tried. The AVLS off still didnt go high enough,and bass was awful even at full.

The hack though takes off something called SP: Sound Pressure, and when off, you have to supposedly have the volume on a low amount since its soo loud, and would really damage your eardrums if on full.

Look for it on google, and test what it does. Its just a random number of button presses which brings up a menu to disable it. Rather clever.

It has a few more problems though like I mentioned,stopping me from going for it again.

Like I said, get the HD5 (exactly the same minus an artist feature to look up tracks by same artist while playing,and one DJ option called Back in Time or something which plays tracks from a certain year in shuffle)

You should be able to get that alot cheaper from the net (they've stopped selling it from shops now), and looks better in my opinion, and is lighter.

If like me though (minus battery life) wait for the Creative Zen Vision M! Or, if your not interested in photos or video, buy the Zen Sleek which is basically the same feature wize, except not colour, and doesnt play photos or vids. Very good though,and would recommend that. Alot cheaper also since it doesnt come with the Sony name!

I don't know why, but I seriously get annoyed if one of my mates gets an IPod...I take it as a kind of insult to something or other...
I even used one on holiday, a 60gb Ipod Video, and didn't find anything special about it, what so ever... the menu's were laggy sometimes, the display takes a while to update while flicking through songs before it shows titles, etc of the song now playing. The cliock wheels motion doesnt seem right to whats actually happening, and seems a bit slow unless you want to hurt your thumb...
The quality of the audio is also rather terrible, even on my really good Sony headphones, and I don't agree that the ones that come with it are any good at all...
The lack of bass options also dont help, but when equalisation is set to have bass on anyway, it feels drowned and useless.

"Why did you buy an ipod?"
"because it looks good and it holds 10,000 songs"

I'll never forget that comment I got :p

Its just, most people that go for ipods know nothing about sound, or as I heard once, dont even care. They just want to store music on it and listen to it... but surely then, it matters?!

Between a Walkman and an Ipod, its quite simple: if you care about appearance, size, user experience and to a point, capacity - all in a sleek package, go for the ipod; otherwise you should go for the walkman, which has clearly better-off sound quality, compatibility and is much rarer. <<Sony is hard to beat in terms of sound quality for a Portable Media Player.

Or get the new Creative Zen Vision M. Check the thread out about two below this one, for a mini review from me :p
Since I bought it and got it yesterday, and its amazing! Forget the shortfalls of non removable battery and the 15 hour battery life (i have it in usb alot of the time anyway, and it probably still is a while) and buy it :p

Back
Top Bottom