My Athlon overclock

K wel it's at 44 degrees celcius, which is hella high. And I'd give that CPU a few more months at that speed before it dies, the extra voltage is killing it as we speak.

I'm using the MSI K8N NEO4-F. Why should I update the bios? I'm going to bring it down to 2.3GHz before I do fry it. Plus the ram divider is killing the speed, it's bottlenecking my CPU soooo much. Any good CPU fans, I was thinking of the Scythe Ninja or the Thermaltake Big Typhoon.

Why update the BIOS? Because ALL windows temp monitors take the temperature from the BIOS, if the BIOS is wrong, your readout is wrong. For all I care, you cpu could be roasting at 70*C right now. I would get a Thermalright XP-120 or SI-120 if you want to cool the PWM. If not, the Scythe Ninja is the best out right now.

Ok, I clocked it back down to 2.3GHz because the huge ram divider is killing me here, the full load temp after running prime95 (and having everything pass) for 12 hours was 37*C. I'm currently usin 1.586V.

I'm going to invest in some new cooling. Maybe the Scythe ninja or the thermaltake Big Typhoon.

ownage said:
Why update the BIOS? Because ALL windows temp monitors take the temperature from the BIOS, if the BIOS is wrong, your readout is wrong. For all I care, you cpu could be roasting at 70*C right now. I would get a Thermalright XP-120 or SI-120 if you want to cool the PWM. If not, the Scythe Ninja is the best out right now.

usually the original bios is not wrong about the temps.
And if it is I doubt that a new bios will make any difference. Since the bios only displays the temps that the sensor tells it to.
So if the temps are wrong it would most likely be the sensors, not the bios.

Yea that's what I figured, and I don't want to take a big chance of ruinning my new motherboard.

reggie_da_man said:
I'm going to invest in some new cooling. Maybe the Scythe ninja or the thermaltake Big Typhoon.

The Scythe Ninja is the king so far as to cooling the CPU. But as i said earlier, i would get a SI-120 or a XP-120 from Thermalright. Sure you gain 1-2*C compared to the ninja, but you also cool onboard components like the MOSFETS which get extremely hot when overclocking.

Back
Top Bottom