ATAPI vs IDE

Siphon

Baseband Member
what is the difference between ATAPI and IDE? Can i connect a dvd-rom drive with ATAPI/E-IDE interface to my mobo with the regular ide cable?

Same thing, but the ATAPI is an improvement over the traditional IDE/ATA. One of the problems with the original ATA standard was that it only supported hard drives. Other devices like CD-ROMS, floppies, etc. were attached to proprietary interfaces. For example, many original CD-ROMs were connected directly to the sound card. In general, these interfaces proved to be slow and provide a burden to the card. To resolve this issue, a new standard was developed called the AT Attachment Packet Interface (ATAPI). It allows the devices to plug directly into a standard IDE cable and be configured like a ATA drive as a master or slave.

TRDCorolla said:
For example, many original CD-ROMs were connected directly to the sound card. In general, these interfaces proved to be slow and provide a burden to the card.
I had one of those type before, it was an old sound blaster 16 setup that came with a sound card, speakers and an 8x cd rom...boy that was a loooooong time ago...lol

Back
Top Bottom