Att Mamouriko & Guru's on laptops

Joeyjoejoejnr

Solid State Member
Hey in terms of laptops, what kind of difference would a 5400 RPM and 7200RPM make on your HD. Would be using for gaming.
Also what does everyone think of a Intel centrino 1.86. chip? is that enough info?
Also, what is the differenc between having 2 x 512Mb Ram OR 1 x 1024 Ram

If you are going to game, don't you dare get that Celeron. Get the Pentium M.

About the RAM, you may as well get the one chip of a gigabyte of memory, so you'll have room to upgrade. The two 512 megabytes will take up both slots (assuming you have two, most laptops have two) and the one gigabyte will only take up one, leaving room to upgrade later on.

For the cpu I'd go with the pentium M. They are great for laptops.
And ofcourse the more RPM the faster the hdd works. Ofcourse other stuff matters too. So generally the 7200RPM would be better, but I don't know how much difference there is in heat production.

And as for ram, if the laptop supports dual channel ram, then go for 2x 512mb dual channel. If it doesn't then get the 1GB stick so u have room to upgrade.

Wait, do laptops support dual channel RAM yet? I have yet to see one that does; then again, I don't look at laptops all that much. The dual channel option didn't even cross my mind...

Of course, even if it does, he could get another 1 gigabyte stick and put in there, too. Then he'd have dual channel with 2 gigabytes of RAM. That'd work, wouldn't it?

I don't know if laptops support dual channel yet.

And yes there are 2x 1GB dual channel kits too. And 2gb in dual channel would be awesome, but ofcourse it's going to cost more than 1GB.

For the CPU I'd go for the Centrino. They are awesome CPU's and perform really well. My mother has a Centrino 1.5Ghz laptop, easily out performs her desktop which is a 2.4GHz.

Back
Top Bottom