What Firewall?

Washington

In Runtime
Hi all,

Due to my laptop going on the blink I have had to dig out my old Windows 98 850Hrz machine for internet usage.

Now I installed the Sygate firewall that seemed to be working fine until I noticed that when I pressed Ctrl Alt Del it stated that Sygate was 'not responding' so I don't have a lot of trust in that plus it kept popping up with 'Win32 wants to connect to the internet' every few mins even when I clicked 'don't show this box again'

So I have now installed Zonealarm and that is way too resource heavy for this machine. It slows everything down and sometimes the pc hangs when shutting down. So thats no good.

I have tried to install Kerio but that wanted XP to be installed.

So I need a resource lite firewall that will run quietly in the background.

Anybody got any recommendations??? Oh yeah, it's got to be free as I am only using this pc on a temporary basis.

Thanks

Cheers for that.

Geez, looks like most firewalls these days aren't free. I'll give the Outpost one a go and see what its like.

Thanks for your help!

Personally, being a Sygate user for quite a while, I'd stick with it for the moment, at least until you maybe have a bit of cash to invest into something like BlackIce or McAfee. Uninstall it, reinstall it. If you have queries or worries that it may not be protecting your computer, go to either of the following and make sure it is.

Sygate
PC Flank

Best of luck with your problem.

Back
Top Bottom