Computer Hardware Issue

FlyingDutchman

Beta member
I recently upgraded most of my system (CPU, motherboard, RAM, and graphics card) and when I plugged it all in, I started having problems with the CD roms and hard drive. I reformatted the hard drive and reloaded the operating system and the problems persisted.

If I'm in Windows, and I put a cd into the cd rom, eventually while accessing the data, the entire computer shuts down. I say eventually because it seems random to me. For example, I tried installing Half Life 2 multiple times as a test case (5 cd install) and I once got to cd 4, twice got to cd 2, and other times didn't make it past the autorun sequence. This is true of both of my cd roms, individually, and when both installed at the same time.

Furthermore, once the computer has shut off in this fashion, anytime I try to turn it on again, it shuts off after a few seconds. In order to get past this, I have to disconnect the cd rom, and sometimes the hard drive as well, start the system up, then shut it off again, and reconnect anything not connected.

I also have to manually open up the cd rom and take out any cd inside, or the entire computer will instantly shut down if the cd rom is connected.

I don't know if this is a compatibility issue with my motherboard and cdroms, or something else entirely, but I would very much like some advice, because I just poored a crap load of money into all this new stuff.

Here's my system according to Everest.
Operating System: Windows XP Pro SP2
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ running at 2200 MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939
Memory: 2 1 GB sticks PC 3200 DDR SDRAM (forgot the name of the company)
Graphics Card: NVidia Geforce FX 5600
Hard Drive: Western Digital 160 GB (Not sure of RPM)

Cd Roms: AOPEN DVD 1648/AAP
NEC DVDRW ND-2500A

The really weird thing is, I needed both the cd rom and the hard drive for re-installing windows, and that went fine with no problems. So I have no idea what the problem is. Thanks for any assistance you can give.

Make sure every little thing on your mobo is in properly. Make sure your heatsink and fans are in properly. Just check every little thing on your mobo and HDD and CD-rom

I checked everything as well as I could and found no problems. It's turned off a couple times after I've run it for like 20 minutes so I'm wondering if its the cpu even though the fan is working fine. Is there a program I can run from xp to monitor the cpu temperature?

It's definitely not the cpu temperature causing the machine to shut down, it is shutting down while the cpu is at 32 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom