Power problems

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Does anyone here use a battery backup for your PC? I need to get one and have no clue what to look for.

Here's what just happened to me. I was just watching The Bourne Supremecy when all my computer related equipment shut down. Must have been an outage for a brief moment, but long enough to cause a systemwide shutdown of my router, speaker system, modem, monitor, etc. I attempted to start my PC again and nothing happened. Uh-oh, I though it could be a shorted out PSU because everything else powered back up except for my computer.

So I reset the surge protector and tried to power on again. Nothing. So I decided to unplug the power cable on the back of the PSU directly for about 5 sec and put it back in and push the Power button. Came back on. After it booted, I got no internet. I have cable internet. First, checked the modem by rebooting it. Didn't work. Did a Power Cycle on it. Didn't work. I thought the outage could've somehow knocked the cable TV out too. Checked TV, everything was fine. Then I double check all my connections, yes it was tight and correct. Finally, I checked the wireless router. Well, the power light was blinking green which was odd because it was always on and not blinking. Unplugged the power cable for the router for about 5 seconds. Plugged back in and Internet was up and running again.

Now do you see how my router and PC power problem was all related? I had to unplug the power cable from each one to get it going. There must have been some kind of power buildup or something in those lines, I don't know. I'm no electrician. So I'm thinking my power lines running to all my computer stuff need to be conditioned. A line conditioner so to speak and I heard that battery back up supplies do the trick. Any suggestions for one? Never used one before and don't know what kind of specs to look for. Or are they all the same?

Just get a surge protector, a battery backup, and you're all set. Monster power supplies are the best, but there are others that will do well too.

Yeah, if worse case scenario comes, my laptop becomes my baby. I must have a running PC because school starts tomorrow. Online courses and such. Everything's running great now but that was pretty scary early on. Yes, I must get a battery backup. I have a pretty good surge protector already. I think I paid like $45 for an APC surge protector. I checked out their site and they also have battery backups too. You can tell I don't have too much experience with this kind of stuff. Any of you guys have one?

jac006 said:
That post helped trd in absoltely no way... what a waste...
.....Well the thread is about computers and batteries...I made a comment.....

Teencompwiz2 said:
.....Well the thread is about computers and batteries...I made a comment.....

Yeah, but come on, use your common sense... it isn't some "post whatever you want" thread. Trd's asking for help. Try and help, not just post how your off well and whatever situation someone else is in, well, that sucks for them. Be helpful. It's what CF is about. When you need help, you want a succint, helpful answer, not some comment which does nothing. Sure, it's nice to have a labtop with good battery life, but, in this thread, it really does nothing. Thanks for understanding.

i suggest monster power supplies, they are a lil pricy, but they are grade "A" goodness. And you cna use it to filter you tv. cable too.

I saw their main website. THat thing can power a home theater system!!! Whew. I don't think I need something that extreme. I was looking at the APC main website and they have quite a few of those UPS (not the parcel delivery company) available. So basically, the bigger the number, the better? I came across all these number like this: 350VA - 650VA. What the heck do those mean? They range from:

350VA - 650VA
500VA - 700VA
500VA - 1500VA

I guess the last one being the most power because it's the most expensive one.

Back
Top Bottom