Question Regarding Overclocking

jac006 said:
You also have to oc your ram, too, you know that right? You have to eqalize your speed throughout your pc. So yes, your ram would too be harmed. Then, to compensate with that, you would then oc your gpu, and then, yes, your gpu would get scrwed up (or have the chance).

Now, I'm confused! When you change the FSB, that affects your RAM as well?

Ziirou Requin said:
How long would normal parts last, on average? If a modestly overclocked CPU would still outlive it's usage (although this would vary), how much is really being lost?

Obviously if people are using computers for four years ago, assuming the components are still working, we can conclude that the average computer could last 7 years or so. Now like we said, if you overclock a computer ALOT, meaning almost doubling it's speed, you could assume, using logic, that with the increase of constant volatge and heat, the processor could probobly hold up for a year or two max. So if you modestly overclocked it, like if you overclocked a newer P4 or AMD 64 (assuming you're sticking with stock cooling) by about 400MHz, you could predict that the processor could hold up for 4 or 5 years. If you are going to go with some somewhat hard core overclocking >500MHz you'll want some more cooling, so the processor's life is extended another year or so. With that said, you could manage a 3 to 4 year processor life span. If you go with liquid cooling an overclock your processor >600Mhz you could assume, using logic, the processor could hold up for 3 or 4 years, once again. It really depends on how high you overclock, and how high of voltage you are using. I don't know why you would ask about overclocking if you want to keep your computer for over two years. I mean, anything under 350MHz or so isn't really going to make a noticable difference. It also depends on the processor you're using. But, if you're going to buy the XPS, you may as well forget about overclocking. I reccomend googling the subject, you'll get the most accurate answers.

I let the idea of overclocking linger on my mind a bit. Part of it is intriguing, and I'd like to try it. At the same time, unless I go for some decent OCing, I won't notice a difference. In effect, I'd be wasting my time and effort. If I wanted to OC hardcore enough to see a difference, I'd likely need a new fan and maybe some other equipment. To me, the tradeoff doesn't seem worth it.

Then again, I've heard that people see great things when OCing video cards...

Back
Top Bottom