MicroATX vs. ATX? Plus, Critique My New Build

firebird365

Beta member
I'm looking to build my first gaming computer and I have a couple questions about what to buy.

Here's what I'm looking at so far:

ASUS Black IDE CD Burner $23.50
Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 160GB 7200RPM 8MG Cache $80.00
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2x512) PC3200 RAM $76.25
ASPIRE ATX AS520W $59.99
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice $201.00
XFX Geforce 7800GT 256mb $299.00

TOTAL = $739.74

Now, I have a dilemma. I was thinking of going either with:

ABIT KN8 Ultra $99.99
ASPIRE X-Cruise Black Computer Case $69.00

or

BIOSTAR TForce MicroATX $75.00
ASPIRE X-QPack Black Computer Case $80.00

I previously had a laptop that I used for gaming while at friends' houses, and I would like to maintain some of the mobility that I had before, hence the MicroATX form factor in the second option. However, I wasn't really sure how the choice would impact the performance and reliability of my system; I've never built a computer before, so I'd like to minimize the problems that I could encounter (or cause myself :D).

So, first of all, what do you think of my choices for parts? I'm not really going to be doing anything except gaming and schoolwork on this machine, but I'd like to keep it around $900ish. Second, will the MicroATX mobo and case affect any aspects of the system in a problematic way? Once again, I'm not looking for absolute extreme performance (I will not be doing any overclocking) but rather a blend of performance and reliability.

On a different note, I'd like to purchase a new monitor in addition to the system (I figure if I'm blowing my cash on a 7800GT, I shouldn't cage it in my puny 15" monitor :p). I was looking at this 19-incher, but would the price gap be enough to justify taking it over a 17"? I was hoping to keep the system cost around $1100, but I am already going over with the monitor...

Anyway, thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I would get that Abit motherboard and the Aspire ATX case. That case looks nice with the 3 guages. That video card looks really good. They have definitely come down in price. I predict more people on here will upgrade to the 7800's soon with the price coming down even more. Everything will work with what you have so compatibility is not a problem. Parts could be a bit beefier, but it's a good price for what you're getting. 19" LCD looks good and well worth it compared to a 17". You'll enjoy it.

TRDCorolla said:
I would get that Abit motherboard and the Aspire ATX case. That case looks nice with the 3 guages. That video card looks really good. They have definitely come down in price. I predict more people on here will upgrade to the 7800's soon with the price coming down even more. Everything will work with what you have so compatibility is not a problem. Parts could be a bit beefier, but it's a good price for what you're getting. 19" LCD looks good and well worth it compared to a 17". You'll enjoy it.

yes i've seen that case in real life about 2-4 days ago and does it ever look expensive and well made, not cheap looking at all. the abit mobo is also something you should definitly get as it is extremely reliable and abit is one of the best mobo makers around. Yup i dunno if ima get one because in canada they're still about $700.00 + hst but they are definitely coming down. for the oddest reason i think that 3500+ is going to limit that gpu, dunno why i feel this way, have you checked the prices on the x1800 series cards? since you cant go sli i'd check out one of those. yea that 19" monitor will work nicely but be warned incase you dont know, they only support a resolution thats so high so you cant turn it way up while playing games.

money_man said:
but be warned incase you dont know, they only support a resolution thats so high so you cant turn it way up while playing games.

What do you mean? So the monitor can't play games in the 1280x1024?

By the way, I think I might go with this monitor... the $30 will help pay for shipping.

well CRT monitors can display a much higher resolution than lcd..mine goes to 1280x1024 but thats it, and for a graphics card that powerful it would be nicer to use larger resolutions.

Back
Top Bottom