What Sempron is comparable to Athlon XP?

ArrizX_MuziK said:
Or why not go intel, lol? Maybe an Xeon?

How could you say that to this poor guy..... :eek:

AMD Athlon 64 3200
ASUS A8N-E
2x512 OCz PC3200
nVidia 6800GS 256M
7200RPM 200G HD

Reasonably priced gaming computer. Sell your old one for 400-600 dollars and use that money to help pay for some of your new computer.

Nothing will compare to your XP processor (even though I had a 2800 and it will be worse than your XP) unless it's an Intel, but don't go there if you're gaming or running anything really graphical. If you burn music, listen to it, watch movies at the same time, maybe curise the web too, then go intel. As far as gaming goes, AMD 64 ALL THE WAY. So, I think the AMD 64 2800 WILL compare to your XP, along with a P4 2.4GHz or 2.8GHz.

How about just telling us how much you want to spend on a new processor or how much you are willing to spend? I think you should either leave everything the way it is or get an Athlon 64, not a Sempron 64.

If you're going to upgrade, at least make it count. Athlon 64's go for around $180. If you plan on using Sempron 64 still, you're going to have to get a Socket 754 motherboard which are budget motherboards too. Didn't they have Socket 939 for Semprons? The Semprons works good for budget CPUs. This will work very nicely:

ABIT NV8 Socket 754 NVIDIA nForce4-4X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127220

AMD Sempron 64 3400+ Palermo 800MHz FSB 256KB L2 Cache Socket 754 Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819104231

That's the best Sempron I could find. Another $100 will get you an Athlon 64 with a Socket 939 supported motherboard. Faster.

Semprons will beat out AXPs anyday. Make sure you get an E6 revision sempron that has the 64-bit extension. I heard they are just venices with less cache.

ownage said:
Semprons will beat out AXPs anyday. Make sure you get an E6 revision sempron that has the 64-bit extension. I heard they are just venices with less cache.

That's exactly my understanding.

Sempron IS Athlon 64 just with less cache.

Also, as much as I hate it, yes, the PCI-X 6600GT cards have gone up a little in price.

Well, thank you for those that helped.

And as for the ones that said "INTEL blah blah" and, buy this system or this processor, it's only $XXX! Quite f###ing bragging. Building computers is just like building legos and you're just bragging about which piece you like better.

I really don't care if a certain processor will get my 5 more fps at NFS:UG2 or FEAR, I just want to be able to play the damn games.

Back
Top Bottom