Geforce 6600: Next step

It's a great card, if you aren't a serious gamer. If you game HARD, and in all the latest games you're watching your fps display more than your paying attention to the game, then don't buy it. But, it's a 256Meg AGP, and AGP is a hardy little slot... so I would say go for it, depending on how you game. If you play action games that are BRAND new, like BF2, Call of Duty 2, and FEAR, then I'd say you could play them on medium settings. If you play Doom3, Quake 4, Counter-Strike: SOurce, you'll be fine. I only mention those games because I know the 6600 could play those on high and get 60+ fps (well maybe not Quake 4... but w/e).

HRHunteRHR said:
If you play action games that are BRAND new, like BF2, Call of Duty 2, and FEAR, then I'd say you could play them on medium settings. If you play Doom3, Quake 4, Counter-Strike: SOurce, you'll be fine. I only mention those games because I know the 6600 could play those on high and get 60+ fps (well maybe not Quake 4... but w/e).

ahaha the man is in the house.

BF2 is harder on my system than COD2 and Quake 4. and im sli'ed so you'd be playing that at lower settings. doom 3 gets owned by a 6600gt, meaning 800x600 and high settings almost no lag. CSS takes almost nothing to play it. Fear takes a nice video card but the 6600 should be able to make something outta it. i would get a 6600gt, it does after all have the gddr3 ram, and with cooling can overclock nicely. but i dont know how much more they are than that card

nice choice you'll love it, hell i love mine still wish i had 6800's though, then again im a slave to benchmark scores

alrite...case closed...I need $00 more after the $277 spending...

Another thing: I I give up a 512MB (-$70) and decide to take 2x256 RAM sticks from my moms computer and put another 512MB RAM stick that I own and I flunk 1x 256 RAM for each...that will eual to 768MB to both, will I notice a HUGE difference?

money_man said:
ahaha the man is in the house.

BF2 is harder on my system than COD2 and Quake 4. and im sli'ed so you'd be playing that at lower settings. doom 3 gets owned by a 6600gt, meaning 800x600 and high settings almost no lag. CSS takes almost nothing to play it. Fear takes a nice video card but the 6600 should be able to make something outta it. i would get a 6600gt, it does after all have the gddr3 ram, and with cooling can overclock nicely. but i dont know how much more they are than that card

Yea money_man is right, that card should be fine. CS:S is really easy on the graphics card, IMO. If I was able to get 50 fps with everything on high and 1024x768 resolution, and a 1.6GHz AMD 64 2800, I think you'll be fine. BF2 is pretty damned hard on the system though. I run it with the occasional lag after loading up a map (see signature for system). COD 2 is a piece of cake on my system. On yours, I'd expect to play it at medium/high graphics with that card. Doom3 is squat, I owned that game with ULTRA settings (YES YOU SEE THAT) at 60 fps (60 because vsync is automaticly on in that game). I know it takes 512 megs of graphics ram, but somehow, I did it. If I can get a good video recorder, I'll prove it. ANyways, that card should be fine for CURRENT games. ANything from next year might have to be played on medium settings, but for the money, that's a pretty good card.

Well after reading that last post, expect medium to low settings on any game that's new. Including Source. You said you got two sticks of 256 meg ram fom your mom's computer??? That's probobly horrible ram. Tell me your system specs.

Back
Top Bottom