Tom Jones receives knighthood from Britain

setishock

Wizard of Wires
LONDON (AP) — What's new, Pussycat? It's Sir Tom Jones now. The big-voiced singer from Wales was among the new knights of the realm in the New Year list of honors announced Saturday. Jones, 65, joins a group of previous pop-rock knights including Sir Paul McCartney, Sir Cliff Richard, Sir Mick Jagger, Sir Elton John and Sir George Martin, The Beatles producer.

Some of Tom Jones' hits include It's Not Unusual,What's New Pussycat and Green Green Grass of Home.

Tom Jones, born Thomas Jones Woodward in Pontypridd, began his singing career at age 3. His string of hits started with It's Not Unusual in 1963, and other hits included What's New Pussycat,Green Green Grass of Home,Help Yourself,She's a Lady,Never Fall in Love Again,Sex Bomb and Leave Your Hat On.

Harry Potter's imposing pal Hagrid — Scottish comedian and actor Robbie Coltrane — was made a member of the Order of the British Empire.

Also honored were Jonathan Ive, designer of the iPod and iMac, jazz musician John Dankworth and playwright Arnold Wesker

Used to be you had to do something bold and daring like lead a nation through a war like Churchill did. Now it appears all you have to be is popular. Sad that it's gone from being a title that meant honor, courage, and integrity to just being a popular figure.
Rave on McDuff...

yea wtf is this...hell ima go make a slow blending blender and maybe ill become a knight...your supposed to look up to be important people with the name sir but wtf cares about pop-rock people? they dont deserve it. it should be like the victory cross or soemthing

I love that "It's NOt Unsual" song. What a classic. I have no clue what in the hell he did to deserve that though besides charming the ladies. *shrug*

oh god everybody is getting knighthoods now, there not even worth the hassle anymore.

Nah..People who get them deserve them. They dont just get them handed out. Was rolf harris born in the Uk? I pretty sure he was...I think he deserves one

ya well i think i desesrver one too :D but seriously i agree ... i mean comeon....pop-rock stars? there knights? ....just seems...not right...now mebbie if they like took out osama or sumthing or saved the queen from a...a...dragon or sumthing and they just happend to be pop-rock stars then ya they deserve it...but just peing a star shouldn't make you a knight

mr.monger said:
exactly. friggin HAGRID from hary pooter got one. whats up with that.

Robby coltrain is an incredibly succsesful actor :confused: Hes done more than just play that part...

Back
Top Bottom