Go for the Dual Channel?

Jayj2k1

Baseband Member
Check this out. My job has some memory on sale for $40. I currently have one in my pc now (its 512 mb corsair) and a 256 meg chip (some crap that came with the pc). If I got another one of the same one I already have, I can have dual channel going on with my pc that will speed everything up a little bit.

Would that be a good idea? Just to let you know, I paid $55 when I bought the first 512 stick and that was with an employee discount. If not, I would have been paying about $110.

* I know my mobo supports dual channel because it prompted me when I first installed the 512 chip but of course, I didn't have a duplicate of that memory.

Sounds like a nice deal and an excellent chance to lose the crappy bank of 256 you have in there at the moment. One thing worth bearing in the mind... Its gonna be the luck of the draw as to weather you'll be able to dual channel your current stick and the new one. You ideally need a "matched pair" for dual channel, allthough I have heard of peeps getting away with memory added at different times, aslong as its same series, from the same manufacturer ofcourse.

~Rob said:
You ideally need a "matched pair" for dual channel, allthough I have heard of peeps getting away with memory added at different times, aslong as its same series, from the same manufacturer ofcourse.

O really...? That doesn't sound 2 good. I hope it does work out for me though because I know when I bought that 512 stick and installed it, it stated something for the dual channel but I didn't have another stick of the same exact memory to match. Either way, going from 768mb of different memory to 1gb of the same memory is still a good upgrade right? I have a Celeron 2.9ghz so I need anything that will help.

wait. so if i go out and buy 2 of the same memory(ram) sticks, i can dual channel them(assuming my mobo supports it)? like they dont have to be made in a certain way?

badninja3 said:
wait. so if i go out and buy 2 of the same memory(ram) sticks, i can dual channel them(assuming my mobo supports it)? like they dont have to be made in a certain way?

In most cases, yes.

erm, call me a noob but could i buy two 512 ram sticks and wack them into the mobo if the mobo supports dual channeling?

Back
Top Bottom