Problems with Windows 2000 Pro

Frozen

Solid State Member
I have recently installed this OS on the PC I'm using right now, it used to have Win ME, which is probably by far the worst Windows that has ever existed.

The PC runs way better than it used to overall, but I do have one big hell of a problem: I recieve an error message that says "can't find the specified file" when I try to install a program.

Programs I've tried to install:

Adobe Reader
Winzip
W2KSP4 (service pak 4)
Windows installer 3.1
And a few more.

Basically anything that has to be extracted or self-extracts.

Could this be a problem with the temporary folder, or not enough RAM? (128)

I've scanned the hard drive for errors (complete surface scan), ran virus and spyware checks... I have Spyware Doctor and AVG Free antivirus installed on my PC, I don't know if either could be interfering with my PC's performance.

Any help will be appreciated.

malbuc87uk said:
It could be that the Windows Installer is damaged or missing. That's why the installers won't be working properly.

Try this: http://www.skerryvoresoftware.com/cgi-bin/inst_msi.cgi

Download a replacement for it from there, or reinstall Windows.

Hope to help.

I appreciate your attention.

I haven't tried re-installing Windows yet, I downloaded the file you linked me to but I can't extract it since I can't install Winzip itself.

I did REPAIR Windows using the CD, but that didn't fix the problem.

I forgot to mention this:

When I try to install Adobe Reader (this program in particular) the error it gives me is:

(first pop up window) --> Unable to launch. Error code: 2
(second pop up window after clicking OK on the first) --> Unable to launch installer. C:\DOCUME~1\(User)\CONFIG~1\Temp\adminstaller.exe
CreateProcess return code: 2

PS: I put (User) just for security reasons. Obviously there's no parenthesis on the original address.

Back
Top Bottom