S L O W

mammikoura said:
No, having about 200kb/s means that he is on a 2mb dsl. Atleast that's what I think. And if his dsl speed is over 200kb/s that means that his downloads should be over 200kb/s instead of 18kb/s. Even the slowest dsl's nowadays can get 25kb/s.
The line speed of a 2MB service would be 22**k...
Just because you have say a 2MB service, it doesnt mean you'll ever download a file at 2MB/sec. Remember things like the contention ratio have a big impact, especielly at peak times when everyone sharing that 2MB is downloading or playing CS! :D

not exactly sure what u mean by that line speed thing, but atleast the way I understand it (and the way that my internet seems to work) is that 1mb connection = 100kb/s when downloading stuff.

I could be wrong.

mammikoura said:
not exactly sure what u mean by that line speed thing, but atleast the way I understand it (and the way that my internet seems to work) is that 1mb connection = 100kb/s when downloading stuff.

I could be wrong.
Nope, your right. On a 1MB service you seem to get around 100kbps. :)
What I meant by the line speed was the actual messure of the potential speed of your line for downloads etc. So just as 2MB is 2048kb, a 2MB line seems to report back as 22**kbps when you do a line test at one of those broadband checker sites.

So if this guys line is reporting back a speed of 200k when he does one of those, that would equate to a 256K broadband service, and on that sorta speed you'l expect ya downloads to be about 20-30kbps. However in this day and age, I doubt very many people use a 256k service. Deffintly worth ringing his provider and maybe trying a few downloads from different servers over the US, as suggested.

Corrupted said:
I recently set up Verizon DSL in our home. and the BROWSING lives up to the DSL name but the download speed goes back to DialUp speeds. I get download speeds as low as 18 kbps. EIGHTEEN kbps. for DSL.

Thats just unacceptable...

any of you guys have any fixes?

(PS) i called the tech support and they said they DONT support download speeds. They ran a test and said it was working just fine...

I'M LIKE....WTF? :mad:

Thanks AgaIN! :cool: :mad:
its all dependent on where ur downloading it from if its a long way away then ya its gona go pretty slow, try downloading other things to make sure u can get a decent speed

Back
Top Bottom