S L O W

Corrupted1

In Runtime
I recently set up Verizon DSL in our home. and the BROWSING lives up to the DSL name but the download speed goes back to DialUp speeds. I get download speeds as low as 18 kbps. EIGHTEEN kbps. for DSL.

Thats just unacceptable...

any of you guys have any fixes?

(PS) i called the tech support and they said they DONT support download speeds. They ran a test and said it was working just fine...

I'M LIKE....WTF? :mad:

Thanks AgaIN! :cool: :mad:

Are you referring to downloading using p2p software like shareaza, kazza etc or just normal downloading.

If it's from a p2p software then your never guaranteed to get good download speeds, now if it just normal everyday downloads then this depends on the source your downloading from and how busy there server is at that time.

What is your DSL connection speed ?

BullDog(UK)

According to tests done on the web...i have a DSL speed of 216.7 kbps

;_; WTH?

EDIT: Just normal downloading.

how many different sources have u tried to download from? As bulldog said, if the source u are downloading from is busy or has a really slow connection then it doesn't matter how fast ur internet is.

only one source. but i dont think i can find a different source for the download

downloading.:.:.:.Maplestory

go to different sites, try to download different drivers from different manufactors, and different game demos from different sites. These guys are probably right, it has to do with your download speed and where your downloading from. Sounds like the source u are downloading from is either really busy or doesn't have great bandwidth.

there are some online speeds tests too.. forget the site something like speecheasy.speedtest.com.. google that can probably find the site.. lets you test your speed from different servers all over the u.s.

Corrupted said:
According to tests done on the web...i have a DSL speed of 216.7 kbps
That result would indicate your on a 256K service. If you are, TBH I wouldnt complain about 18kbps downloads. If you can post what service you supposedly have, including the contention ratio I'll try and give you an idea of what download speeds to expect.

Worth remembering aswell. If you have a usage limit on your service, once exceeded most providers (in the UK anyway) knock you down to dial up speed for the remainder of that period. Plus as said, if its P2P software you'll never get near your available download bandwidth and the more crap like auto update and other stuff that likes to stealthly use your internet connection under the guise of updating, the more lag your connection you'll see.

~Rob said:
That result would indicate your on a 256K service. If you are, TBH I wouldnt complain about 18kbps downloads. If you can post what service you supposedly have, including the contention ratio I'll try and give you an idea of what download speeds to expect.

No, having about 200kb/s means that he is on a 2mb dsl. Atleast that's what I think. And if his dsl speed is over 200kb/s that means that his downloads should be over 200kb/s instead of 18kb/s. Even the slowest dsl's nowadays can get 25kb/s.

Back
Top Bottom