Help me!

c_dfeedback

Baseband Member
Hello, i'm a noob.

I recently returned from a 3 day break to find my computer running 50 background processes! My computer has a 2.4ghz Pentium 4, with 1 gig of ram, it is running worse than a computer with half its specs! I am extremely worried that this is occuring, and perhaps this is the wrong place to post this, but I really need some help.

I have tried all kinds of things including SpeedUpMyPC, etc, but none have seemed to have any affect!

Please, can you tell me why i'm running so many processes, and why my pc is so slow?!?!?!

Thanks in advance if you can point me towards any software or something that will help me establish which of these processes I can remove!

Also, go to start --> run and type msconfig

Go to the startup tab and uncheck almost everything in there, leaving only things you KNOW you want to run when the PC is booted.

Thanks for the advice guys, ive run both the spyware and adaware programs, they turned up nothing, i scan for spyware pretty frequently as is. I ran a virus scan as well, nothing there.

I am still getting cpu usage 100%, when i've only got this window and msn open?!

I was considering unchecking all the startup options as you suggested David, but i'm not honestly sure which options i need! Are all thes optional, or will it affect me system running if i remove them?

Are all thes optional, or will it affect me system running if i remove them?

None are manditory. But, you will want some running probably, and Ill try to tell you which ones..

1) If you have an anti-virus program, have that checked. It will be easy to find on the list I'm sure.
2) If you have any anti-spyware programs that are always on (which by the way I don't like...it's best not to use the resources but rather scanning for spyware at the end of every day or two.)
3) Firewalls (excluding windows firewall)
4) Any other programs you want to be there when you start up. For example, msn messenger or other messenger programs, or if you use wireless internet, wireless access programs

**Note: After you uncheck everything and re-check the programs you want to stay running, check to see that your anti virus software and the other things run.

**Also: Do not be AT ALLLLL surprised if some of the things that you UNCHECKED are checked again after you restart. Most spyware programs make themselves run again.

I heavily reccomend doing this because it works wonders. Even if there are no problems with your PC, checking the startup tab in msconfig should be a part of everyone's maintenance.

And finally, try Ad-Aware if you havn't already. http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
It's free and works great. Run this program in SAFE MODE!!!! for best results. When in safe mode, try a virus scan there too. Working in safe mode makes it so that the bad programs can be deleted. If they are running, which they probably will be on a normal boot, they cannot be deleted, so use Safe Mode. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom