Thermal Pad And Thermal Paste...

If I just get a retail CPU, then all that hard work would be done for me already though, right? Sorry, I'm still considering building one, and if I do, I wanna do it all right.

When I buy a retail, what exactly do I need to look forward to doing?

Haha, man, you need to chill about building a computer! I promise that it isn't near as hard as you have in your head. It'll take you about 2-3 hours to install everything as far as hardware goes, and then installing an OS is easy.

When you buy a retail CPU, all you're going to want to do is gently set that sucker (the CPU :D) in the correct position on the socket (you match up two little triangles on the socket and CPU, you don't have to guess or anything, don't worry) and it will slide right in there assuming all pins are straight (always check this before installing a CPU). Then, look at your CPU/motherboard instructions for mounting a heatsink. Usually it involes setting it on the CPU, then pulling a lever or two and locking it in place. Nothing to worry about!

And, yes, if you buy a stinking retail computer (like a Dell) it'll be done for you. But that way, you won't learn! Personally, I love to learn new things that I'm interested in, so that's one reason why I opted for building a computer, so I could learn all about them. I'm only in high school, and I'm looking for a profession in computers (be it Internet Security (even though that's an oxymoron :D), maintenance, construction, etc.), so I need to learn all about them. And, I'm very interested in them anyway.

Wait, a retail processor won't have a heatsink with it? Or if it does, it won't come attached?

Why wouldn't the pins all be straight when I installed my CPU? Damage through shipping or something?

A retail processor doesn't have it attached, no. But it does come with it. And, for the second question, it is from damage through shipping. That'd be very rare for you to get one with the pins bent, though. And, even if they were, you could just send it back, I believe.

If you read reviews of any type of CPU, you'll see that very few (if any) posted anything about bent pins. I just mentioned that for your knowledge, but really, don't worry about it. If it turns out you get a bent pin, just let us know.

If you don't need to use the stock heatsink (which usually comes with a thermal pad), then buy an aftermarket cooler and use Arctic Silver 5. You'll get better results.

Back
Top Bottom