dvd-rom cache

Siphon

Baseband Member
will there be a big difference between a dvd-rom with a 2mb cache and a dvd-rom with a 512kb cache? does cache play a big role when reading dvds to burn it on a dvd-rw drive?

Must admit I've never heard of DVD drives using Cache before.. Maybe you mean buffer size? In that instance, the bigger the buffer, the more information can be "buffered" while burning a disc, which I believes reduces the chances of under runs caused by HDD issues, lagging etc.. Kinda acts like an overflow, ya know?

Overflow isnt a good analogy! :p More like a safer place to hold the info before it hits dye.

Agreed, I think he's referring to the buffer cache size and as you've said the bigger the buffer size the less likely you are of having burning disc issues etc

BullDog(UK)

the buffer holds the data as it is being written to the disc.

The data is sent from the hard disk to the buffer (a dodgy connection if you like) and then sent form the buffer to the write heads (a very smooth connection)

so any errors encountered while the data is being moved from the hard disk does not interfere with the very tempremental burning process.

so yes.. bigger buffer = better.

hope you understand why

I guess it works similar to the cache that's on a hard drive too. I love cache, especially the ones on CPUs. The more, the better, but at a much higher cost usually. They are very expensive.

Back
Top Bottom