I'm A Heathen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh yes and take a look at everyone elses comments on this page. I hope you enjoy being maybe 1 in 100 because you haven't realized that custom computers are the best way to go for nice computers.

I have a Intel D. I play all the games nicely. I do not notice any "lag".

Everything works well. Photoshop works like a charm, as well as other programs all at once. :)

I happen to own a 233 XPS Old Pent 2 Dell, that still works today. I have also bought a 4700 for a friend, and I must say, it works like a charm.
Dells can be nice computers. I have to admit their Dell XPS is also very good. And the case isn't bad either.

TRDCorolla said:
Ok, this is getting blown out of proportion. First, the comparison isn't accurate. You don't want to compare a single core Athlon 64 CPU to a dual core Intel Pentium D.

The second thing is the fact that prebuilt systems do offer a nice package and generally, a great deal at a very attractive price, but at what cost? Limited upgradeability, performance are usually bottlenecked somewhere due to pricing (RAM may suck, but have a decent video card. Generic motherboard which is usually the case. You'll have to end up spending close to $3000 or more on a pure high performance system--but in that case, building your own would be a more practical decision), some of the components unknown, drivers are all scrunched up on a system restore CD (if you can find them in all those directories--after all, it is more like a system disc or an OS disc). But tech support is key to a prebuilt system.

There are some tradeoffs, but that's always the case in EVERYTHING. Get whatever's comfortable for you. I always recommend a Dell to people where budget is key. If you want the freedom of knowing what's in your PC and freedom of choosing your own custom parts in there, that's where building a PC comes in. I want performance and I'm also very picky about manufacturer's of certain parts that goes into my PC. So I build my own. I've had my share of cheap Gateway motherboards and generic RAM with restricted OC and upgrade capabilities. Especially the stupid Gateway and Dell splash screens that appears in POST.

That Dell configuration you pointed out will get the job done and more. It is a dual core CPU which is always nice to have. I don't even have a dual core CPU, but that's going to change on my next build.

How is the comparison not accurate? The point was to see what gave me more "bang for my buck". Dual-cores beat out single-cores, and that Athlon is a single-core. To leap to dual core would nix the small price gap.

Honestly, I've had this computer now for four years. It's old. Regardless, it runs well. I never wanted to upgrade it. Still don't. It's time for a new one. Four years from when I get that new DeLL (assuming I do) it will be time for a new one as well.

Why would the RAM suck? Even if it is 'generic'. I need this part explained, if you would.

What's the problem with a generic motherboard?

HRHunteRHR said:
A. In the future he might want to upgrade?>
B. Maybe he wants a nice case?
C. Not if they were getting some of the profit. That's buisness and we've seen it like that countless times.
D. No one said he didn't either, but if he DID, how would he?
E. K so the ram sucks and you want to use the warranty so you get more crappy ram. Yea that's really smart...
F. Yes they can PLAy them. A monitor from 1998 could PLAY them. Do you really think he wants something that can just play it? I mean I know IMO i'd want something that actually utilizes the games beauty. If hes paying 1200 dollars for a computer, he wants something that's worth it.
G. OMG I cant belivee you just aid that spam is going to be nicely put away in a little folder. No. It's going to tell you that you don't have permission to delete it, and that you ened to get someoen form the company to rid it for you. I promise you that. My friend just bought an XPS.
H. It's not the fact that he doesn't want 200fps, maybe its the fact that he wants a good system for gaming, hence the XPS idea. Too bad it's ruined with something that isn't good for gaming.

I think my system would kick that system's ass any day, because I KNOW it would. This thing would only cost 1000$ max because it was built. Pay an extra 100 for an Operating system, and 50 for somone to put it together for you, and you save 50 dollars, gain performance, and rid yourself os a spam infested OS with shitty over priced computer parts. Sounds good to me. He doesn't have to do anything I say, he asked a question, I answered it; and now you're giving me a hard time for stating my oppinion. I'm firm on my oppinions on Dells and other store bought computers pal. If you want to give me some benchmarks proving me wrong, please do. But for now, you may want to read this....

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/18079-custom-vs-company-computers-how-start.html

Okay...

A) I haven't wanted to upgrade the comp I have now, it's been four years. This little DeLL has served me fine. Chances are, it'll be the same. If anyone read my follow-up post, you'd see I'm not normally the person who needs to run out and get a game immediately. I'm paitent enough to wait for prices to drop. This would only change if a game I really wanted to play came out, like Diablo 3 - if that's even coming.

B) You're kidding, right? This is the most ridiculous reason to try and argue customs over companies. A nice case? I happen to like how the XPS cases look.

C) I doubt they're selling a 6800 that works as anything under. Chances are, the 6800 is a 6800.

D) I have never overclocked before. I doubt I'd ever want to. I don't like the risk of burning out my system for a little bit of a performance jump. To me, it seems pointless. And if I got the DeLL and decided I wanted to OC - oh well for me.

E) Someone still has to explain to me how the DeLL RAM would suck. RAM seems to be RAM to me, and those numbers look good.

F) Uh, yes, it can play them...that's what it's there for. I'm not splurging on some high-tech monitor that's insanely costly. A DeLL monitor will work as well as any other conventional one. I avoid flat still (ghosting & costly), and CRT serves me fine. I don't see how a DeLL monitor is suddenly hindered because of the company name. I think you're using your extreme bias here, and it's ridiculous.

G) I can't comment here. My cousin has an XPS from two years ago, and all his spam is gone. He deleted anything he didn't want. I did the same on this one. I doubt the new ones now are going to have "impossible spam".

H) How is the system not good for gaming? All the specs more than exceed what is needed. You're just sore because it's a DeLL.

Mr. F said:
I have a Intel D. I play all the games nicely. I do not notice any "lag".

Everything works well. Photoshop works like a charm, as well as other programs all at once. :)

I happen to own a 233 XPS Old Pent 2 Dell, that still works today. I have also bought a 4700 for a friend, and I must say, it works like a charm.
Dells can be nice computers. I have to admit their Dell XPS is also very good. And the case isn't bad either.

What are your system specs? How much did it set you back? How many things can you run at once (heavy programs, esp.) before there's any lag? Do you ever notice the CPU overheating or anything?

HRHunteRHR said:
Yea like I said before, not only does the Intel kill it, but the fact that it's not upgradeable and it has watered down cheaply manufactured parts will not get you anywhere in any game. You had better plan on playing games like Counter-Strike 1.6 and others from 2 years ago.

This is a completely senseless comment. My cousin has a DeLL from two years ago. My specs would beat out his. Guess what? He runs Special Forces perfectly.

Jamxx said:
especially that single-core AMD's are better than "dual-core" Intels

You said, in another thread, that such a comparison would be unfair, in that the dual-core would beat out the single-core.

Is it true games can't utilize dual-cores yet?

One thing I forgot to add, which would make this post seem biased, is that the DeLL would have a 1-year limited warranty. I just checked this now (after figuring out how to add a warranty on their website) and to make it a three-year warrant, I'd pay out $1,639. That's a $272 difference, instead of a $92 one. Just food for thought. The custom parts woul be a minimum of a 3-year warranty...I think.

What are your system specs?
CPU(s)
Number of CPUs 2
CPU#1 APIC ID = 0
Name Intel Pentium D 830
Code Name SmithField
Specification Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.00GHz
Family / Model / Stepping F 4 4
Extended Family / Model 0 0
Package LGA775
Core Stepping A0
Technology 90 nm
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T
CPU Clock Speed 2800.7 MHz
Clock multiplier x 14.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 200.1 MHz
Bus Speed 800.2 MHz
L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Trace Cache 12 Kµops, 8-way set associative
L2 Cache 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 2800.7 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 256 bits
CPU#2 APIC ID = 1
Name Intel Pentium D 830
Code Name SmithField
Specification Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.00GHz
Family / Model / Stepping F 4 4
Extended Family / Model 0 0
Package LGA775
Core Stepping A0
Technology 90 nm
Supported Instructions Sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T
CPU Clock Speed 2800.7 MHz
Clock multiplier x 14.0
Front Side Bus Frequency 200.1 MHz
Bus Speed 800.2 MHz
L1 Data Cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L1 Trace Cache 12 Kµops, 8-way set associative
L2 Cache 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size
L2 Speed 2800.7 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 256 bits

Mainboard and chipset
Motherboard manufacturer ASUSTek Computer INC.
Motherboard model LITHIUM, 1.04
BIOS vendor Phoenix Technologies, LTD
BIOS revision 3.06
BIOS release date 08/15/2005
Chipset Intel i945P/G rev. 81
Southbridge Intel 82801GB (ICH7) rev. 01
Graphic Interface PCI-Express
PCI-E Link Width x16
PCI-E Max Link Width x16

Memory
DRAM Type DDR2-SDRAM
DRAM Size 1024 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 266.7 MHz
FSB:DRAM 3:4
CAS# Latency 4.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 4 clocks
RAS# Precharge 4 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 11 clocks
# of memory modules 2
Module 0 Samsung DDR2-SDRAM PC4300 - 512 MBytes
Module 1 Samsung DDR2-SDRAM PC4300 - 512 MBytes

Software
Windows version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
DirectX version 9.0c

How much did it set you back?

About 1200-1500 With 3 Year Service

How many things can you run at once (heavy programs, esp.) before there's any lag?

Hmm, maybe to the point where I'm installing two apps, while having 14 Firefox windows opened, while playing a CD, and using Photoshop, and just now, played BF2 leaving those open. [Installing Apps]

I get some lags, 2-4 Seconds at the most.

2 Virus Scans, 4 Spyware\Ad-Aware apps, Photoshop, Playing CD, 12-15 Firefox windows opened, and Disk Defrager while loading a game, and working on Photoplus is the point of some lag for me.

Do you ever notice the CPU overheating or anything?

No, not at all. Though I have a huge heatsink to keep it all cool.

That's insane - you can seriously open all those things?

Can anyone back him up? Are dual-cores good enough that you can open:

2 Virus Scans, 4 Spyware\Ad-Aware apps, Photoshop, Playing CD, 12-15 Firefox windows opened, and Disk Defrager while loading a game, and working on Photoplus

All that!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom