i should know this but i dont.

NemesiS_1122

Baseband Member
i want to upgrade from 2gb of ram to 4gb, on my mobo theres 4 slots and the 2 black ones are filled but then theres yellow slots? wats the diff?and does it have to be the same type of stick or can i buy 2 that are the same but different from the existing ones?

and how do i know what kind of ram i have already/need, i know its ddr2 but theres so much stuff idk lol

thanks.

It's preferrable to buy them all exactly the same, but you can mix manufacturers in there. Just make sure they are all running the same speed (ie, PC3200, PC2700, etc). I don't why they make different color RAM slots. Looks prettier perhaps? They can denote different slots for dual channel RAM. For that, you'll have to look at the motherboard manual. They have specifics as to which DDR slot to use for dual channel mode.

i have dual channel, and i need 2x 1gb sticks. i know theyre 667MHz (idk wat that means) and how do i find out the PC3200, 2700?

the colors in the memory slots are most likely to mark which 2 slots work in dual channel with each other. So most like yellow & yellow are dual channel and black & black are dual channel. So if u have one in yellow and one in black they will not work in dual channel.

But check the mobo manual just to be sure because there can be some differences between manufacturers.

Back
Top Bottom