I'm A Heathen

Status
Not open for further replies.
G: All in all, that thing will BLOW. Plus, you have to use that stupid freaking windows disk with it that will install the special offers like AOL "highspeed gaming intarweb", and "dell" stuff that spams you up with special dell offers.
H: It's a freaking intel processor.

K, so IMO, I think that thing will be the worst buy EVER.
It does come with Music Match Jukebox but you could just buy it for 20 bucks

Dude, I told you that AMD was best countless times. Now, I'm getting backed up by practically everyone on the forum! If I had ever gotten this much support on the computer I built I would easily have gotten exactly what was recommended to me (I actually did anyway). They all have good points! And I agree with pretty much all of them; especially that single-core AMD's are better than "dual-core" Intels (shouldn't really even be called that). You'll have a custom computer, a cool case, upgradeable components, overclocking ability, and learn how computer are built all at the same time! You also save 100 dollars! That's money to put toward more memory, a better video card, montly bills :)D), etc. Really, if I were you, listen to these guys and me and go for the AMD. You won't regret it! I promise!!! ;)

HRHunteRHR said:
K Dells suck.

A: I'd like to see you try upgrading that thing with a new motherboard.
B: What about a case??
C: Chancesa are that 6800 is a factory card that can't be overclocked or unlocked, and if it's in a Dell, it's definately been watered down.
D: How are you going to overclock your Dell??
E: What about the ram?? 20$ says that's "dell" ram that is cheap and easy to manufacture.
F: Is the 19" monitor thing a "dell" too? rofl a "dell vision"
G: All in all, that thing will BLOW. Plus, you have to use that stupid freaking windows disk with it that will install the special offers like AOL "highspeed gaming intarweb", and "dell" stuff that spams you up with special dell offers.
H: It's a freaking intel processor.

K, so IMO, I think that thing will be the worst buy EVER.

A:why would he want to upgrade it with a new mobo? he just bought it thats clearly what he wants
B:what about a case? the dell come with a case, hence its a prebuilt computer
C:even if its a factory card its still going to perform good, its a 6800, if they were selling 6800's with the same performance as a 6600gt dont you think Nvidia would have something to say?
D:why does he need to overclock the dell? who said he wants to overclock the dell?
E:who cares if the ram is cheap and easy to manufacture? if it breaks that what dells warrenty is for and you send in your computer and they give you new ram.
F:i dont understand this comment? you never said anything to support your dislike for the monitor, whats wrong with them? clearly they can play the games the 6800 will or they wouldn't be sold with the computer.
G:all in all that computer will not blow, it will work nicely. the ads dell sends with the computer just grab them all and put them in some folder thats labeled junk or something, wa-la done with ads.
H: so what if its an intel? not everyone needs 200fps in gaming, if the cpu will play the game why do you need overkill except for benchmark ego's and so you can say look at my fps. it will still multitask 100% better than a single core cpu, and if it overheats thats dells fault and send it back to them, they should've sold enough now to know exactly what kinda thermal paste to use to keep them living, and dont P4's turn themselves off before they cause damage to themselves? im pretty sure they do.

and your entitled to your opinion but dont you think buying a gaming computer with a 1.3ghz celeron and a 32mb geforce 2 would be a worse buy? i sure do. and no im not a dell fanboy i dont even like dell but at least use teh facts for what they are and dont biased your whole opinion on custom is better

Jamxx said:
Dude, I told you that AMD was best countless times. Now, I'm getting backed up by practically everyone on the forum! If I had ever gotten this much support on the computer I built I would easily have gotten exactly what was recommended to me (I actually did anyway). They all have good points! And I agree with pretty much all of them; especially that single-core AMD's are better than "dual-core" Intels (shouldn't really even be called that). You'll have a custom computer, a cool case, upgradeable components, overclocking ability, and learn how computer are built all at the same time! You also save 100 dollars! That's money to put toward more memory, a better video card, montly bills :)D), etc. Really, if I were you, listen to these guys and me and go for the AMD. You won't regret it! I promise!!! ;)

now i completely agree with what you said about saving money but, maybe i missed it but i never saw where he said hes going to be doing massive gaming on this computer, i saw bf2 and maybe a MMO...this computer should work nicely for those

But, that could change. What if a game comes out that his friend gets, tells him it is incredibly awesome and that he must get it, and then he finds out that his Dell can't quite play it like he'd want to. Well, if that happened, he'd be pretty much stuck. If he had a custom computer, he could just do a little overclock here, a little component upgrade there, and voila: he could play the game better than his friend probably could.

Anyways, you learn when you build a computer and in his case he saves 100 dollars. Also, it's fun! :D

ok, the thing on dells, I can play Half Life 2 on max settings on mine.. It's not as good as most of your guys'. Mine is a dell Dimension 8400 that came with radeon x300... havn't done a thing but add a network card.

Jamxx said:
But, that could change. What if a game comes out that his friend gets, tells him it is incredibly awesome and that he must get it, and then he finds out that his Dell can't quite play it like he'd want to. Well, if that happened, he'd be pretty much stuck. If he had a custom computer, he could just do a little overclock here, a little component upgrade there, and voila: he could play the game better than his friend probably could.

Anyways, you learn when you build a computer and in his case he saves 100 dollars. Also, it's fun! :D

oh i agree custom is the way to go, you learn and you know exactly how good the parts in it are, but for what he wants it for as of right now the dell is a nice choice, especally with the warrenty.

Ziirou Requin said:
The DeLL would have a 2.8 GHz Pentium D processor 800 MHz/FSB. That's a dual core CPU, even though Intel doesn't do 'em right. Windows Media Center Edition, nvidia 6800 video card, 1 GB Dual Channel RAM, 160 GB SATA HDD, Dual drives a 16x DVD-Rom and a 16x DVD-RW, built in modem (woohoo), 19" flat panel monitor (or just gonna sub in a CRT), Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS sound card, DeLL's 5.1 surround speakers, an optimal mouse, USB keyboard. That all comes put together already, no need to deal with putting thermal paste on, etc.

Now, the one I customized had all the same specs, except it was an Athlon 3500+, 2.2 GHz, 1 GHz/FSB. I also had different speakers, a mouse and keyboard, but they're all pretty generic, to match the DeLL.

What it came out to was this:

DeLL: $1,449
Custom: $1,357

A $92 difference. Thing is, the DeLL comes put together already, and even though Athlon's are better than Pentiums, it has even been said that regardless of that, a dual-core Intel will beat a single-core AMD - that's just no comparison.

Ok, this is getting blown out of proportion. First, the comparison isn't accurate. You don't want to compare a single core Athlon 64 CPU to a dual core Intel Pentium D.

The second thing is the fact that prebuilt systems do offer a nice package and generally, a great deal at a very attractive price, but at what cost? Limited upgradeability, performance are usually bottlenecked somewhere due to pricing (RAM may suck, but have a decent video card. Generic motherboard which is usually the case. You'll have to end up spending close to $3000 or more on a pure high performance system--but in that case, building your own would be a more practical decision), some of the components unknown, drivers are all scrunched up on a system restore CD (if you can find them in all those directories--after all, it is more like a system disc or an OS disc). But tech support is key to a prebuilt system.

There are some tradeoffs, but that's always the case in EVERYTHING. Get whatever's comfortable for you. I always recommend a Dell to people where budget is key. If you want the freedom of knowing what's in your PC and freedom of choosing your own custom parts in there, that's where building a PC comes in. I want performance and I'm also very picky about manufacturer's of certain parts that goes into my PC. So I build my own. I've had my share of cheap Gateway motherboards and generic RAM with restricted OC and upgrade capabilities. Especially the stupid Gateway and Dell splash screens that appears in POST.

That Dell configuration you pointed out will get the job done and more. It is a dual core CPU which is always nice to have. I don't even have a dual core CPU, but that's going to change on my next build.

money_man said:
oh i agree custom is the way to go, you learn and you know exactly how good the parts in it are, but for what he wants it for as of right now the dell is a nice choice, especally with the warrenty.

Agreed. You do have a warranty covering the whole thing and it is a lot looser than individual part warranties. And that Dell system is not bad; I didn't mean that, but I was just saying that if you want to learn and have a lot of fun while doing it, building a computer is what's right for you.

money_man said:
A:why would he want to upgrade it with a new mobo? he just bought it thats clearly what he wants
B:what about a case? the dell come with a case, hence its a prebuilt computer
C:even if its a factory card its still going to perform good, its a 6800, if they were selling 6800's with the same performance as a 6600gt dont you think Nvidia would have something to say?
D:why does he need to overclock the dell? who said he wants to overclock the dell?
E:who cares if the ram is cheap and easy to manufacture? if it breaks that what dells warrenty is for and you send in your computer and they give you new ram.
F:i dont understand this comment? you never said anything to support your dislike for the monitor, whats wrong with them? clearly they can play the games the 6800 will or they wouldn't be sold with the computer.
G:all in all that computer will not blow, it will work nicely. the ads dell sends with the computer just grab them all and put them in some folder thats labeled junk or something, wa-la done with ads.
H: so what if its an intel? not everyone needs 200fps in gaming, if the cpu will play the game why do you need overkill except for benchmark ego's and so you can say look at my fps. it will still multitask 100% better than a single core cpu, and if it overheats thats dells fault and send it back to them, they should've sold enough now to know exactly what kinda thermal paste to use to keep them living, and dont P4's turn themselves off before they cause damage to themselves? im pretty sure they do.

and your entitled to your opinion but dont you think buying a gaming computer with a 1.3ghz celeron and a 32mb geforce 2 would be a worse buy? i sure do. and no im not a dell fanboy i dont even like dell but at least use teh facts for what they are and dont biased your whole opinion on custom is better

A. In the future he might want to upgrade?>
B. Maybe he wants a nice case?
C. Not if they were getting some of the profit. That's buisness and we've seen it like that countless times.
D. No one said he didn't either, but if he DID, how would he?
E. K so the ram sucks and you want to use the warranty so you get more crappy ram. Yea that's really smart...
F. Yes they can PLAy them. A monitor from 1998 could PLAY them. Do you really think he wants something that can just play it? I mean I know IMO i'd want something that actually utilizes the games beauty. If hes paying 1200 dollars for a computer, he wants something that's worth it.
G. OMG I cant belivee you just aid that spam is going to be nicely put away in a little folder. No. It's going to tell you that you don't have permission to delete it, and that you ened to get someoen form the company to rid it for you. I promise you that. My friend just bought an XPS.
H. It's not the fact that he doesn't want 200fps, maybe its the fact that he wants a good system for gaming, hence the XPS idea. Too bad it's ruined with something that isn't good for gaming.

I think my system would kick that system's ass any day, because I KNOW it would. This thing would only cost 1000$ max because it was built. Pay an extra 100 for an Operating system, and 50 for somone to put it together for you, and you save 50 dollars, gain performance, and rid yourself os a spam infested OS with shitty over priced computer parts. Sounds good to me. He doesn't have to do anything I say, he asked a question, I answered it; and now you're giving me a hard time for stating my oppinion. I'm firm on my oppinions on Dells and other store bought computers pal. If you want to give me some benchmarks proving me wrong, please do. But for now, you may want to read this....

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/18079-custom-vs-company-computers-how-start.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom