Can you Track someones location from an IP?

computerkrys

Beta member
I was in an argument with my Dad's girlfriend about being tracked from your IP and I wanted to make some research and see if you can indeed be tracked where your living from your IP if have not entered any information into your computer about yourself???.

Sorry, just to clarify the argument was whether or not I could be tracked for downloading limewire pro which costs $18.88 to buy from the website. Sneakily enough I used limewire basic the free version to download limewire pro from another user.

This is a very complicated subject, but simply put yes you can be tracked to the area you live. Now to get your address is a little more tricky, however with the right skills this can be achieved (dependent on your ISPs security protocols). Of course the police can get your address from the ISP logs with a court order.

Now if you want a secure way of downloading P2P, music etc download ipig software and run it before you start downloading. It will secure you in a VPN (virtual private network) type connection, this will mask your IP and prevent other internet users from tracking you, your ISP logs will also only show VPN encrypted data and will be ultra difficult for your ISP to know what you've been download etc.

[Please note the above information is for educational purposes only, although VPN software isn't illegal to use]

BullDog(UK)

Well depends who and how detailed info. U give me ur ip and in 30 seconds I can tell in what country and usually in what state u live in.
But getting ur address is pretty damn hard by any single person. The cops etc can get it easily by just contacting the ISP.

ThePower said:
If ur a moderator or is it an Admin here its simple lol

Admins can see the full ip. But I also thought that mods could see it too.
Well, seems that I thought wrong.

But still, as I said it's going to be really hard to find his address by having his ip.

And bulldog, ofcourse it's not impossible. Almost everything is possible. ;)

Your IP address will only give us a rough location, such as your city or your timezone, for people to get your address, the police and law enforement units must contact your ISP ...

Back
Top Bottom