Compter For College

No, don't build a labtop. Neither a desktop. you'll live to regret it if you take a desktop to college. I'm going to college next year and I'm going to get a xps gen 2, if I can manage it. Lol. Get a dell, as I'll second lhuser. You'll be a LOT happier that way.

TRDCorolla said:
Building one would be nice for around $2,000. Getting one from Dell is fast, hassle free, and you get immediate results. Plus, free tech support. When you build your own, you are your own tech support, but you get the parts you want which is a huge plus. I'll see about getting a customized rig for you...

Sorry about the double post, but trd man, he's going to college. Don't go through the trouble to make him a custom because it's not going to be practical. The dell part is good, I agree with that. But he's going to need a labtop in college. Believe me.

Alright thanks for the advice. Here is something else I just thought of: I already have a desktop (dell dimension 4300) and a labtop. Both are average. But I can take either one to college along with a new computer. Should I look into getting a very nice labtop and just updating my desktop a little bit? or the other way around? (bring my labtop and buying a nice new desktop?

Oh and...you know something? Myself, my desktop was mostly for work, but I jumped it to gasmes and such. God, I regreted it...I was happy for gaming, but my computer was no more designed for work. Now, I'm reintergrating it to work days :)

I'll second jac for not building your own desktop. You never know, if it's a good tower for gaming, most likely people will break in and steal it. Dells, they'll run away from it...but I like them...quiet! :)

To answer your question, Bring the laptop. It is more easier to use and it can be placed more secure. BUT, if you want to bring the desktop, by all means. If you need to upgrade them a bit, o so. They look fairly decent to my criteria

I guess it depends on what you really want. I've got a home built desktop PC and I'm going to school too. Then again, I also have a laptop, lol. For gaming, I can't imagine anyone using a laptop to play games on. If you do choose to go for a laptop, I suggest you get a really good one that can play most games today and do your school work on it too (any computer can do that). If you're playing games on your laptop, get a mouse to go with it. You don't want to be using your touchpad because it's a pain.

Get this one and upgrade it as budget will allow:

DellTM Inspiron 9300
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/pro...00?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~tab=specstab#tabtop

I think I have decided not to build my own computer. As a highschooler, I don't know exaclty what I want to do, so besides medicine, I really love architecture. Could the Inspiron 9300 handel a program like autocad?

Yes it will. It comes with 512MB, but since you're running AutoCAD on it, the more RAM, the better. Upgrade to 1GB. It will work with 512MB (that's the minimum system requirement to run it).

One last question: With my desktop, I need to add some more ram. I've looked in my manuel for the Dell Dimension 4300. And it says I need SDRAM PC133, it has 2 memory connectors, a max memory of 1GB, memory types are PC133 (non-ECC or ECC), and BIOS address F8000h. I would like to add 512MB or get to close to 1GB. Where can I find cheap memory that will boost my computer?

Holy mother!!! That thing is ancient museum quality. I don't think you can find those RAMs anymore. They are long gone like in the days of the Pentium 2. I have no clue where to get RAM like that. Maybe eBay or something?

So if this was the desktop I was talking about taking to college... would it best best to just leave it to my mom?

Back
Top Bottom