buying new speakers - question

pike8

In Runtime
i've decided to buy logitech x-230 2.1 speakers. i want to know if i will feel difference between them and my old (some no name, ordinary, 2.0) speakers, no matter which sound card i have. and my sound card is (i think, because i don't know much about this stuff, but this how it's named in device manager) ESS 1969 PCI AudioDrive.

Well yeah, the subwoofer is the main difference. But also consider wattage, total rms power, etc. Those speakeres are decent, and you'll be happy that you upgraded.

pike8 said:
i've decided to buy logitech x-230 2.1 speakers. i want to know if i will feel difference between them and my old (some no name, ordinary, 2.0) speakers, no matter which sound card i have. and my sound card is (i think, because i don't know much about this stuff, but this how it's named in device manager) ESS 1969 PCI AudioDrive.
For the best sound put the sub on the floor. This means the sound from it is carried through the floor and basically turns it into a giant amplifier :p

Instead of the X-230's, get the Z-2300's. They're a lot better, boasting 200 watts RMS and 400 watts peak power! They're also THX certified. I'll probably be getting some soon myself.

But, you're going to pay about 50 bucks more for the Z-2300's on Newegg if you'd like them. Still, I'll bet it is worth it.

Yeah, at first, when I searched for them, I was like, whoa... those are really nice. But then I saw the name... the 2300's are a way better choice, too true. Or, if you have the funds, lol, the z5500s are pwnage. Along with a 24-bit sound card... but that's just me... but yeah, the 2300s are great, but the x230s will suffice.

I'm a 2.1 speaker fanatic... Mainly because the way my room is set up, I'd have to put the two rear speakers about 10 feet away from the back of my head! I'm sure that I couldn't boost the channel to get it to sound good from that distance, so I've always opted for 2.1 speakers. Right now, I have some JBL Creature II's and they are incredible for the price. Even my good friend, who's an audiophile, said they were the best 2.1 speakers he'd ever heard. Check those out if you're looking for something weird looking, cheap, and that sounds great!

You're friend never heard bose... lol... not that I'm disagreeing, but, bose, when it comes down to price-to-performance ratio, pwns. The creature's ARE
nice though, I almost bought them myself. But, saying that you're friend is an audiophile and that the creatures are the best, well, that's a no no. lol... sorry, but it's true.

Hah, well, I have the Bose SoundDock for my iPod, and I have to say that my JBL's do sound better than it does. Then again, I have all the channels and speaker locations set specifically as well as my custom iTunes equalizer that gives me the best sound.

And, he's an audiophile, yes, but he doesn't specialize in 2.1 speakers either (who's an audiophile that would?!). He's probably never heard Bose, or Thiel for that matter. If you can spit out enough money to get some Thiel's... You'll have the best sound system in a block, I'll guarantee you! My father owns a pair of Thiel CS 1.2's from around 20 years ago, and they still sound wonderful! We blew out the woofer the other day listening to some music loud, and can you believe Thiel replaced the speaker for free! TWENTY YEARS LATER! Now that's good customer service, if you ask me. :D

Thiel > Bose - Trust me. ;)

jac006 said:
You're friend never heard bose... lol... not that I'm disagreeing, but, bose, when it comes down to price-to-performance ratio, pwns.

Don't get me started about Bose. I'm a Bose fanatic....I have their 1986 501. Huge bugger, "pwnage' back then I tell you. 100 Watts full power...

b1_2.JPG

Back
Top Bottom