Is this system any good?

TomS

Baseband Member
lookin for a budget pc and i dont wanna self build, managed to find a pc with this spec and wanna know if its gonna be any good. Im gonna be using it for CS source, C&C zero hour, america's army and maybe some higher spec FPS

AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+
1024mb Dual Channel DDR
160gb 8mb 7200rpm SATA
256Mb Radeon 9800PRO

i know very little about the graphics card which is my main concern

if thats crap does anyone know of any sites selling good value base units? (UK ones if possible)

that seems pretty good with the ram and hardrive.I dont know how much u would need a better graphics card then that. But i would probly get a little better processor but wait to hear other guys comments.

TomS said:
lookin for a budget pc and i dont wanna self build, managed to find a pc with this spec and wanna know if its gonna be any good. Im gonna be using it for CS source, C&C zero hour, america's army and maybe some higher spec FPS

AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+
1024mb Dual Channel DDR
160gb 8mb 7200rpm SATA
256Mb Radeon 9800PRO

if thats crap does anyone know of any sites selling good value base units? (UK ones if possible)

That computer is great. Good high end gaming computer!

That graphics card is a good card. If you can either get it without the graphics card and then just upgrade it to an x800 or 6800, or just buy it then upgrade.

AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+
1024mb Dual Channel DDR
160gb 8mb 7200rpm SATA
256Mb Radeon 9800PRO

These specs are about the average nowadays, but are ok for some of the games you mentioned. If however, you decided to move onto games like BattleField 2 then the graphics card and the system memory would need to me increased, so it boils down to what you want from your Computer.

For games like BF2 1.5gig of memory and at least a Nvidia 6800GS graphics card is needed. Ok the minimum specs on the box say a lot less, but from a gamer of 10 years don't be fooled. When they say minimum specs it means it'll run but crap.

BullDog(UK)

What are you talking about Bull??? Sounds like bull to me. You can have these specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3000
nVidia 6600GT 256Meg
80G 7200HDD
1G PC3200

And you can run BF2 on high.

it kinda depends on what u want to do with your computer in a year or so. If u feel ur going to be slowing it down with more data or different games then u gotta think bout that too. Im only 14 but i built my computer for just gaming and im building another for email and all that junk. Just depends

HRHunteRHR said:
What are you talking about Bull??? Sounds like bull to me. You can have these specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3000
nVidia 6600GT 256Meg
80G 7200HDD
1G PC3200

And you can run BF2 on high.

lol ;) , Some BF2 gamers have reported on the EA forums of intermittent freezing and juddering with 1gb of memory, of course this could be because they've got other programs running in the background that's eating up their resources, which is probably why they said this was resolved by going to 1.5 or 2gb of memory. I personally did experience this on my other Computer (see spec's below) and was resolved with more memory.

AMD 2600xp
1Gb DDR333 Memory - Changed to 2Gb resolved BF2 problems
X800XL AGP version 256Meg

So again it's down to many factors, I think basically he should try it and see, then decided on his next move.

BullDog(UK)

TomS said:

AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+
1024mb Dual Channel DDR
160gb 8mb 7200rpm SATA
256Mb Radeon 9800PRO

That processor is fine, not sure on the memory though its probably value but that will be fine for those games you listed. The only thing is that the 9800pro is getting pretty old. Try for a 6800gs instead. Other then that the computer should be fine for those games you listed.

Back
Top Bottom