Make it run quicker.

cory49

Solid State Member
Well Im trying to make my computer run quicker, but my system is close to 6 years old. I just got a new computer, and I am trying to make this one last longer. Right now this is what I have:

- Intell Pentium III Processor
- 863 MHz, 384 MB RAM
- Windows XP Pro

I always do the basics such as:

- Virus Scan every week or so
- Use adaware every few days
- Disk Degrag every month or so

It runs good for its age, and just wondering about a memory upgrade. Im considering a 512MB of RAM or 1GB of RAM. Will I see a considerable difference between the two? I only use the computer for surfing the net, downloading music, and the odd game every once in awhile...I also need to buy a new hardrive. I have 19GB hardrive, but only 2.4GB remaining...WHat would be my best upgrade? I was looking at 80GB hardrive, and was wondering how long would this take to fill up? I only have a few games, lots of music, and photos.

I think thats it, but if anyone has any other ideas to boost performance please tell. Also Im not looking at any motherboards or video cards...Also Im looking at the best bang for the buck. Thanks, and sorry for the long long post.

Thanks again,
Cory

Press the windows key (next to the alt key) and then the pause/break key (should be next to the scroll lock or print screen key)and hold them down and tell me how much ram you have. Make sure you have more than 256Megabytes.

Im considering a 512MB of RAM or 1GB of RAM. Will I see a considerable difference between the two?

Yes

I also need to buy a new hardrive. I have 19GB hardrive, but only 2.4GB remaining...WHat would be my best upgrade?

80 GB? It's fine for most users though I heard that you download music. You should get a 120, perhaps, a Seagate for only 39.99 USD at BestBuy or similar. If not, go ahead with the 80.

I think thats it, but if anyone has any other ideas to boost performance please tell

Spybot you should get.

Press the windows key (next to the alt key) and then the pause/break key (should be next to the scroll lock or print screen key)and hold them down and tell me how much ram you have. Make sure you have more than 256Megabytes.

863 MHz, 384 MB RAM

I doubt the mobo supports dual channel. So better check that before u get dual channel ram (it will still work but u will be wasting money)
And I'm not sure if Pentium 3 mobos can use ddr2 ram.

Haha, that's exactly what I was thinking too.

I'll bet you have 512 megabytes of RAM, and that measurement was calculated when your computer was running, so it was detecting the amount of free RAM.

HRHunteRHR said:
OoooOOO I see he did have the ram up thar!!! yea get 1G of PC3200 RAM, preferably 2 sticks of dual channel PC3200 ram. Only get that if you're willing to pay 100$.

I'll give you a link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227059

GREAT BUY. I suggest it!

Erm, dude, he uses SDRAM...you showed DDR2 RAM....a definate mistake not to do so oftenm...

You could buy 512MB RAM, but for 1GB, I doubt your machine can hold that much

OK as a p3 owner I can tell you the cpu will not see any drive larger than a 30 gig unless the bios supports 48bit LBA. If not then don't waste your money. As for the memory you can NOT just slap in any ol memory and have it work correctly. Since the p3 will support pc133 or pc100 your choice is how fast do you want the memory to go. If you have pc133 then stay with that speed. BUT and a BIG but is the memory matrix for the motherboard. You have to check the owners manual for that or go to the mobo makers web site and hope they still have support for your board.
Let me explain a little clearer about the memory matrix. Systems now running ddr ram have over come the size of the ram cards going in what slot to get to a certin amount of ram. BUT in the old days this turned in to a major pain. You have to have certin sized cards in certin slots to get to a larger amount of ram. Say 1GB for exsample.
In mine I have to have either 2 512 pc133 cards in slot 0 and slot 1 or have 4 256 pc133 cards in 0,1,2,3. It won't read them correctly if you park a 256 in slot 0 and make up the rest with odd sized cards in the other slots. Those are just exsamples. Flashing the bios in a p3 is too risky. Makes a nice table decoration if you screw up.
And lastly pc133 ram is more costly than ddr. I'd just network over the p3 to your other system. Create a folder for the stuff on the other system and move it over.
2 lan cards and a crossover cable will sent you back 25 us dollars.

Update> Just remembered something else. I had xp pro on my p3 and it made it bog down something awful. I'm now running xp home and it runs just fine. I even got a wireless network card in it and just shuffle over the files as the drive fills up.

Whoa there. ANY P3 can recognise up to 100GB as far as I've hear. I'm running a PII tower witha 40GB HDD and its running fine.

For the Memory, A PIII won't hold more than 512MB. If you have some DDR266 slots, then we can go higher, besides that, no.

Back
Top Bottom