PSUs

The more expensive the power supply, the longer it will last, the more stable it will be, and usually the higher the amperage. I have an Aspire Concord (the step above what you've picked out, the Concord runs at 60 bucks) and I love it. Rock solid 12 volt line, runs at about 11.58 volts. I've seen it vary between 11.57 and 11.59 before, but that's it! Never has failed me. Mine is also 500 watts.

However, that's not a bad power supply, the reviews are good and Aspire is a good company.

dude my old 6600gt agp like require i think it was like 400watt and i used a 295watt psu

My 6600 GT (which is AGP) required a 350 watt power supply. Never used it below a 450, though.

No. They aren't pointless, but they aren't for the average computer user. They would be for very demanding systems that would require a great deal of power and cooling as well as protection. They enhance everything that cheaper power supplies have and add more features to them as well. But, you definitely don't need one. :D

Jamxx, you don't happen to have an AIM name or something I could speak with you on, do you? You're very informed with this stuff, and waiting for replies on message boards is a bit of a pain.

dude if you can find a cheap one with 500wat or more dude you can never have to much power

Yes, I have AIM. I'll shoot you a PM right after I finish typing this important message! :D

If you have too little power, your system will shut off randomly and it can easily cause damage to it. It can also "fry" power supplies and that can cause major computer damage as well.

Remember, less is not more in the world of computers. :D (I'm sure there's an exception, but I can't think of any right now... :D)

Back
Top Bottom