What's most important?

The manufacturer usually warrants them, not Newegg.

A PSU is the shorthand for "power supply unit" and that's what converts the power from a wall outlet into something that the PC can use. I'm sure you know that when you plug your power cord into the computer, it is always at the top of the tower and there's a switch on it and a smaller switch that allows you to switch between 120 and 240 volts (sometimes it's there, my Dell had it). What you're plugging the power cord into is the power supply unit. And yes, quite obviously, you do need one! :D

I wouldn't worry about breaking the pins or anything. The only thing you need to do is buy a static electricity reducer mat (you can find them at RadioShack) so that you don't accidentally shock and ruin one of your parts by static electricity. They're cheap and definitely worth it. When you install a CPU, just make sure which way it fits in is correct and gently set it where it needs to be. You don't have to push it or anything, it'll fall right down into its designated spot once you had it right. There is absolutely no need to force the processor down into the slot; if you have to press a bit then you do not have it in right. Just be very careful when installing it and you'll be perfectly fine.

You're about right on the mark for what you need to build a complete computer. Most motherboards come with onboard sound (which I'm using right now) so you don't really have to buy a sound card if you don't want to. It does improve your sound performance in games, though, and usually has more features and a lot more inputs. The optical drives I have in my computer are a DVD-RW and a regular old CD drive. I don't need anything else, really, unless I would be copying a DVD to DVD, but I never do that. A lot of motherboards also come with an ethernet (CAT5) port already in them; however, I'd recommend getting an ethernet card if you have a free PCI slot. My onboard ethernet began to malfunction a year or so after I had it where it would not hold a steady connection even though it said it was connected in Network Connections in the Control Panel. I'd be talking to my friend on AIM and surfing the web, and all of the sudden my AIM would log off and the Internet wouldn't work for like a minute... Stuff like that. So I recommend one. You can get USB ones, too.

I got some speakers for you! I have some JBL Creature II's and I love them! They have good bass response and crisp sound. They look strange, yes, but they sound really good. I'm thinking about getting some Logitech Z-2300's for my new computer that I'm building at some point. They'll run you at about 100 dollars, but they're THX certified and have 400 watts peak power and 200 watts RMS! They are 2.1 speakers. They also have really good reviews on Newegg.

The motherboard determines how many USB ports you'll have. Usually you have two in the front of your case which you can hook up to the motheboard.

Mobo = motherboard. Just shorthand.

Hope that helps.

I always liked the idea of 5.1 speakers. Just seems cool to have five tweeters and a sub.

400 watts peak power but 200 watts RMS? What does that mean?

What's the purpose of selecting 120 or 240 volts? Any reason to use one or the other?

Static elec. mat, huh? 'kay, I'll get on that if I decide to build a comp. Someone I know who's good with computers had actually told me awhile back to touch the casing (the metal on the inside) after you remove it before touching the parts inside. He said it "grounds you" or something. I just looked at him funny.

What kind've sound card would I need? Nothing fancy, right? I figured a SoundBlaster Audigy would work fine.

I believe I have a USB ethernet now, but it takes up a port unnecessarily. What's a PCI slot? How do I make sure I have an extra for an eternet card? Do I have to connect the EN Card to the MOBO?

lol u sure have alot of questions.
But that's okay, asking is the best way to learn.

"What's the purpose of selecting 120 or 240 volts? Any reason to use one or the other?"

The only difference is that with one it works and with the other one the whole psu blows up. And the funniest thing is that I'm not joking.
I'm quite sure that one is made so that it works in europe and one so that it works in USA. Have no idea what they use in asia. :D

And lot's of ppl seems to talk about static electricity. I gues it has some kind of effect, but I've built about 5 computers in my life, never giving a single thought to static electricity and I have never managed to brake anything.
I'd say that just touching the case (yes it grounds u) is enough.

And as someone already said the mobo has integrated sound which is good enough. But if u want to get a sound card then I gues a soundblaster audigy would be good. (I'm not too good with sound cards)

A pci slot is well, a slot on ur mobo. U can plug lots of stuff into the pci slot, network cards, sound cards, video cards (old ones only) etc. When looking at the mobo specs it should say how many pci slots there is.
And u just put the card in there (just like u put ur vid card to a pci-e or agp slot) and then attach it with one screw and u are done.

Ah okay. So I have to make sure I get a mobo with how many PCI slots?

What should I look for in a PSU, in particular?

Integrated sound is good enough? Well, what exactly is the difference? Would a card allow me to put the volume higher, or let it get louder without distortion, like an amp in a car?

Make sure the motherboard supports PCI-e no matter what. They usually carry 2-3 PCI slots on them. PSU really depend on how much hardware you add to your overall system, including video cards which draw the MOST amount of power. If you're planning on SLi'ing your video cards, get a minimum of 550watts PSU. If just using one 6800 or a 7800 series video card, get at least 450watts PSU. Integrated sound is ok and today's integrated sound have improved, but still use system resource which I hate. I always prefer a dedicated sound card because they have their own processing capability. Sound cards try to reproduce sounds to the best quality possible depending on what kind you get. The X-Fi chipset are the best right now. I don't know if they were like amps because they're not the same techn0logy as car stereos.

Yes, that's a nice motherboard for an Intel system. If you want AMD system, you'll need an AMD compatible board. The regular PCI slots are the traditional slots we commonly use for sound cards, modems, NIC's, etc, etc. The x16, x4 and so on are the newer PCI-express slots. Faster, higher bandwidth than traditional PCI slots with the PCI-e x16 slot used for PCI-e supported video cards only.

Okay so that MOBO will allow two video cards at once?

Can a non PCI-E video card go in any of the PCI slots or no?

Can a sound card or modem or whatever I'd need in the regular PCI slots go into the PCI-E 1x or 4x slots, if for some reason the regular PCI's were taken up?

Also, people on NewEgg complained about lower voltage with that MOBO I listed. What's that due to? I don't like not understanding this stuff.

Ziirou Requin said:
Okay so that MOBO will allow two video cards at once?

yes, they have to be the same card. For example 2x 6800GT will work, but a 6800GT and a 6800GS will not work.

Ziirou Requin said:
Can a non PCI-E video card go in any of the PCI slots or no?

If the vid card is pci then it can go to the pci slot. But there is no point in getting a pci card since they all suck. And no, pci-e and pci vid cards can't be operational at the same time (they can both be plugged in but only one of them will be doing something, the other one just sits there)

Ziirou Requin said:
Can a sound card or modem or whatever I'd need in the regular PCI slots go into the PCI-E 1x or 4x slots, if for some reason the regular PCI's were taken up?

No. It won't fit, unless u make it fit with a hammer. But after that it's likely that it won't work.

Ziirou Requin said:
Would that RAM be what I need for that MOBO? It's a 240 pin, but I also saw it needs DDR2 SDRAM - and the MOBO says "DDR2 Standard DDR2 667"

That RAM I linked to is 240-Pin, but also DDR2 667. Does the 667 part matter, or could I go with 240-pins, even if they're 533's or something?

Yes that ram will do fine. As long as it's ddr2 and 240-pin it will work. The 667 in ddr2 667 is the clock speed of the ram. So the higher the better, but the mobo supports only up to 667 so thats the max speed. U can get faster ram, but it will work at 667 speeds, this is usefull if u are overclocking alot, but for a normal user just get the 667 because if u buy something faster then u are paying for performance that u will not get.

Back
Top Bottom