My Laptop wont work! *Media test failed-check cable?*

xopoisonivyxo

Beta member
Hey there,
I had to use another computer because unfortunatly, all of a sudden my laptop made rattling sounds, and the screen went black, I re-booted and during it I got this:
Intel Bboot agent versian 4.01.03
PXE- E61 Media test failure/check cable..
PXE- MOF Exiting intel boot agent. Insert system disk in drive. Press any key to continue.
I did, the same sentence kep appearing over and over. cntrl alt del, even held down the power button several times trying to re-start normally. No luck. No cords/cables were loose, I took the Linksys card out to reomove dusk. I am just mystified, and very concenred. I really need to get in my computer and cant get past this! I'd be very much gratful for some help. Here is some information. It is a Toshiba laptop, Windows XP, I keep it updated, try to keep it clean, virus free. I hope this is enough to go on. Thanks so much!
Peace,
Crystal

Sounds like some hardware fault. If the cables are properly connected then one of them could be faulty.

Or the medium itself could be faulty, maybe the connector's dud?

I'd send it back if you're under warranty.

Warranty..I don't think I have one..

Hi there,
I dont think I have a warranty (I got it for Christmas 2 years ago, it was a model from Circuit city). So, I dont quite know where to go with the problem.
I am wondering if there is any "trick" I can use to get into my bookmarks, I had some important things, I am concerned everything was lost!
I'm wondering if it is something I could fix myself, all I know is hitting F1, or F2 it brings up options to change/disable. As you see, I'm pretty desperate. I have had a few problems before with this laptop- but not this one. Thanks!
Peace, Crystal

Ps. I did notice the lights are out on the Linksys (sp?) card, I thought that was unusual, perhaps that is faulty? I just dont know, but thought I'd mention it.

that message is given when

a. your hard drive is incorrectly conected or not connected
b.there is nothing for the computer to boot from

check your bios to make sure that it shows your hard drive is connected and change the boot sequence is set to cd-rom then floppy then hard drive

hey,
I triple checked, all plugs are secured. (If I am correct that is what a BIOS is)..It is strange because my computer was working fine, but when I was not on it for about 15 minutes, it rattled and- boom-I get this, so plugs,cords,etc were not touched. I am a bit puzzled as to why the yellow lights in the card are not on, could this have something to do with our firewall/router or something? (By no means am I a expert,heh). Our router is lit up,main computer (I am using currently) is functioning, but I am thinking some how it may be effecting my laptop,perhaps the connection was lost or something?..I probably am not making any sense! But I'm trying to learn! Just hoping I can get to the bottom of it.
Thanks!
~Crystal

Methinks the boom was something blowing up/shorting out. If the connectors or device is broken, the computer can't communicate with it, and therefore believes the device don't exist no more.

Yep, I think your system fried, I'm afraid. Based on what you've said it seems likely.

Oooh nooo! That would be awful! I am panicicing now. Does this mean everything is lost? Or would I need a new...part to operate it? Oooh ..shoot! Oh, I should add; I meant boom just as the expression-kuputz, so thankfully it didnt boom literally or anything..but it did "rattle"-strange sound.
This is awful, does this mean I need to buy software, or my laptop itself is useless? Also- with new parts can I access my bookmarks,files? I hope it wont cost a arm and a leg. Thanks for your help, much appreciated,
Crystal

Update

Hi there,
Just thought I'd update you on my siuation and thank you for your information. I appreciate it! I had someone look at it. Everything was lost. But, fortunatly, I will be able to save my computer with a new HD, and just start from scratch. I just wish I knew what caused trhis to happen, so I could prevent it repeating! Just thought I'd let you all know. Thanks again!
Peace,
Crystal

well hard drives go bad sometimes, there's really nothing you can do about it to prevent it, just make sure your laptop doesn't get banged around/dropped...etc. Glad you got it figured out, sorry you lost all your stuff though, but thats the way it happens most of the time....no warning.

Back
Top Bottom