Harddrive Choices

Legion Kreinak

In Runtime
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cacheâ„¢ [add $120 or $3/month2]

vs.

320GB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 160GB SATA HDDs) [add $160 or $4/month2]

This is what I was looking to choose from when customizing a DeLL. Now, aren't RAID 0's supposed to be tons quicker than regular drives? If so, that's 70 GB more with better performance for only $40 more. Something seems odd here. Anyone wanna enlighten me as to the importance of this stuff?

Also, most harddrives have 7200 RPMs. I've seen a couple with 10,000 RPMs. Is there any need for this?

I'd go with the two drives. And the faster the drive spins, the faster the drive, I think HITACHI makes a 15,000rpm drive that's blazing fast. I don't think the performance increase is worth the money tho.

Yeah, I was figuring the dual drives as well. I just figured there'd be some sort've catch. 70 GB more, with RAID 0 drives, for only $40 extra seems like a godsend.

Hah, well, Dell can pull stuff like that off.

Decided not to build one, eh? Haha, well, that's fine. :D It was just a suggestion.

What do you mean they can pull stuff like that off? Everyone seems to think DeLL sucks. I still don't see why, though.

I didn't decide against building one. I just happened to be comparing a custom built computer to a "customized" DeLL model. The XPS desktops offer those for harddrives (among many others), so I figured I'd ask about them.

Ziirou Requin said:
What do you mean they can pull stuff like that off? Everyone seems to think DeLL sucks. I still don't see why, though.

I didn't decide against building one. I just happened to be comparing a custom built computer to a "customized" DeLL model. The XPS desktops offer those for harddrives (among many others), so I figured I'd ask about them.

What I meant was that since Dell is such a mighty corporation, they can sell stuff at sometimes unbelievable prices. Which is true, but only for a handful of things. That seems to be one of them :D.

Well, read my monster post in your other thread for a little more insight. :D

Dell are good computers for average tasks which most people perform on computers... And the xps looks pretty good. I like how dell lets you customize your pc and informs you of the technology used. I live in canada so I was on dell.ca just to see what they have now and then I went to dell.com.. and wow what a big difference! dell.com informs you of all the technologies available in the computer. Itsss amazing. But the xps looks like a jungle in side.... But they now offer 1.5tb of hard drive. That is a lot of space. So dell isnt all that bad.

Back
Top Bottom